Searching...

2 NBN connection at the same private address

Mel17

Hi Optus

I used to have 2 ADSL lines at my old address; 1 connection was phone with internet for my work (I work from home) as my employer prefers them and the second one was for our personal use.

Now, since we were in a rental house we've had to move and that's where our nightmare of NBN has began.

We have been advised that areas enabled for NBN can no longer get new ADSL connections however we have also found that NBN is inacapable of providing a second line to the same private property.

The reason that we have been given is that NBN as per Government directive can only provide one port to a private property which means they can provide 2 telephone numbers per se but cannot provide 2 internet connections.

We have taken the matter up with our local member of parliament since it is their brilliant NBN policy, which has taken step backwards, but haven't had much success, apart from they will get someone to ring us and it's already been 2 months.

Is this true? What is the alternative as I simply cannot have mix my personal and work connection at all as per employer's requirements?

Hoping someone could actually give me a proper answer.

Thanks

Re: 2 NBN connection at the same private address

mortumus

When my NBN connection was installed the technician said something about being able to have more than one NBN connection if needed. This may be technically possible but I'm not sure if is contractually possible at a private residence.

I suspect it has something to do with the number of ports or something, though I'd think with fibre it wouldn't matter so much as they could go down the same pipe.

This is all hearsay, but I thought I'd mention it. It's worth digging further I'd say.

Guy

Hey @Mel17. This can depend on the type of NBN connection that you have. For fibre to the premises you can have up to 4 data ports provisioned with different providers, but with fibre to the node it can me a little more difficult due to the copper connection and if there is a pair available.

Mel17

Hi Guy

Thank you for your response.

We have FTTN so it should be possible although as you mentioned bit difficult.

Are you able to advise if we can still have two separate service providers. My employer makes it mandatory to have Telstra but I prefer Optus.

If yes, would there be any fee incurred and how much?

Look forward to receiving your reply.

Thanks

Mel 

Guy

No worries, how about you PM me the address of the service and I can have a look for you and see what can be done.

Highlighted

savebanana

Hello. has this been resolved? what was the outcome?

blaso

I have the same problem.

The whole NBN design is just c r i m i n a l. I have been enjoying 100Mbps speeds with Optus cable for >10 years and now the fastest NBN is only 70-80 at best and no hope of improvement. Plus this single connection limitation.

Mel17

Yes, in the end after lot of to and fro and getting in touch with the local MP, we did indeed get 2 NBN connections. One with Telstra and another with Optus. They did provide another node that was then connected to the already existing pair of spare lines in the house.

blaso

Ok, great, thanks for this! So this can be done ;-)

I just hope NBNCo would be more amenable this time round and I won't have to do the MP thing ;-)

dallassuzanne

Hi Guy,

can you help me with a similar problem?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos