Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

account and plan problems

As a senior who is not totally tech savvy having two problems. Wireless internet modem was changed in January due to equipment failure. Old unit was supposed to be cancelled. Since January have been billed for both units (separate sim numbers). Every time I rang up to complain about this was told pay your bill and it will be sorted by a credit on your next account. Never happened. Tried do download My Optus app to discover "your device is not compatable with this version". Call centre are not accepting calls on billing issues so Optus to me are completly uncotactable if you have a billing problem,not that the call centre have been any help so far.

Also at the same time as I went into the Optus store to collect the new modem I told them I was cancelling my Foxtel and wanted a plan that would allow me to stream movies/sport etc. Was sold a wireless plan with 70GB of data and told this would be sufficent. Its not. Have been told I should have been sold the NBN unlimited data plan. Can someone tell me how I contact Optus to rectify these problems. Next resort to me is the Telco Ombudsman.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: account and plan problems

Hi BS,

A few issues in there (Most will need Optus to get involved I'm afraid - you're not alone in frustration at getting these things sorted.

1) So you've been paying both bills? Yes it should get sorted eventually but it sounds like its been going on too long.
2) We need to confirm if you are on Optus Wireless broadband or the NBN Fixed Wireless service?
3) How are you streaming shows at the moment? What are you wanting to watch? Sport? Netflix? etc.
4) What postcode are you in?
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@bothshoes As you do not have access to the My Optus app, if you have a social media account you contact Optus Support, please send a PM to Optus on  Facebook or a DM on Twitter and include in the message you do not have access to the My Optus app.

If you are not in lockdown, out shopping and the Optus Store is open you could call in for some help.

As far not taking calls on Billing, I would claim financial hardship as you being billed extra due to a mistake by Optus. You can call 133 937 Mon - Fri: 8am - 7pm (AEST) Sat: 9am - 5pm (AEST) ignore the prompt to press 1 and wait for the options. I have read it can be a long time on hold. 

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

At the moment on wireless broadband but want to change to nbn unlimited. Not streaming at the moment ,have Foxtel which I intend cancelling. I watch sports so will probably go to Foxtels sports streaming service and wife wants netflix etc. In Perth postcode 6054
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok, Your area has FTTN NBN. This technology isn't the greatest but with a little luck should be fine for you. I agree a wireless plan is generally not appropriate when the NBN is available in your area. You should be able to get any NBN50 plan (unlimited data) from any RSP an add on what you need.

If you're coming off Foxtel I tend to think cold turkey is a bit tough, but these days there's a lot of very good options at much better prices. I would suggest the Optus NBN50 plan:

1) You get 40Mbps download speeds and unlimited downloads
2) Free phoneline (if you want that)
3) A good modem with 4G backup (i.e. if the NBN stops the 4G starts) - Costs $250 but is provided free - pay $7 less for it for every month you stay with Optus.
4) A free FetchTV Mighty. This is your Foxtel Killer. Records FTA TV adskip, Series record, great EPG
5) The Mighty also handles extra content very well. Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hayu. They also have a Foxtel Lite array of payTV packages - $6 each package and completely optional.
6) Optus Sport - Included for free so that's more sport.
7) Perhaps get Kayo Sports. Best way to play it is use the App on your phone and cast it to Google Chromecast on your TV (Cost $50 for one)

So that's the dream, but getting there is going to take some effort. See if you can get through to Optus and talk about what you need done, hopefully a transition from an incorrect setup to an Optus correct one will make them happier to fix it up. Otherwise yes the TIO might be needed to step in (especially for the bills)

Try not to conflate the two issues. One is to return the wifi the other is the bills. The Optus wireless service is month to month usually so returning it shouldn't be a huge problem.
Top Contributors