Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
FrankStrat
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

MyOptus App

Calls to 555 and SMS to 9999 to check my service balance and data usage are free of charge. If I open the MyOptus app on my mobile phone to check my service balance and data usage, am I charged for data usage?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tina_YC

Re: MyOptus App

Hi @FrankStrat, thanks for getting in touch with us. Yes, you will be charged for data usages if you open and use the My Optus App. For more details, please check out this page. Tina. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

FrankStrat
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

OK, thanks Tina.

My current plan is Long Expiry (6 months duration) with data charged at 7c/MB.

If I leave data turned on at all times on my phone with only MyOptus & SafeWA apps currently active (all other apps are disabled) how many MBs am I charged whenever I scan a QR code? And how many MBs am I charged just for leaving data enabled?

0 Kudos
Serena_YC

Generally speaking, scanning a standard QR code would use up approximately 4KB of data. 

With regards to data usage with only the My Optus and SafeWA apps open on your device, I would not be able to provide an estimate for this as data usage does vary depending on factors such as network connection used. I have attached a Usage Guide estimate here if you would like to find out more information. 

To check on how much data is used for each app, you can also check this in the settings of your device and depending on the device you are using, you may also be able to view data breakdown by apps while connected on WiFi. Please visit our Device Guide page for the steps on this. 

If you will be using mobile data more in the future, you can also consider purchasing a data pack or changing to another prepaid option which includes mobile data, which may be more suited to your needs. I have included a link to the available prepaid options we have.  

Hope the above information helps. 🙂 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.