Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Email a/c hacked

My email account hacked and password changed. I need urgent help.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Email a/c hacked

If you are seeing "Login failed - Username or password is incorrect".  it is unlikely that you have been hacked, its just that at the moment the Optus mail servers have crapped themselves.

You can see all the new posts about mail failures today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

many thanks, I've not changed p/w yet capita keeps showing. its likely email a/c compromised. How can I get into my email as a credit card fraud form has been sent. need to act urgently.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Yusufnaz wrote:
I've not changed p/w yet capita keeps showing. its likely email a/c compromised.

Other then just not being able to get into mail and getting the (error message I mentioned above) , is there any specific reason you think your email was compromised?

How can I get into my email

All you can do is just keep trying every 10-15 minutes. I, and some others, are reporting that they have been able to get back in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

3.26pm EST time NSW Thursday 30th July finally got about 6 emails through, and sending working. Given this is a regular occurrence of late, would be great if Optus arranged for their "Outages" site to carry information when email is out, and give an explanation as to exactly why.
I have several friends who changed passwords and various settings and now have a complete mess.
The Regal Beagle
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@DEANJA wrote:
I have several friends who changed passwords and various settings and now have a complete mess.

@Kartika 

This is exactly why Optus needs to keep everyone informed. Many people will see an invalid username/password message and think that they need to change passwords when in fact they don't.  Inevitably changing the password unnecessarily while the email system is down causes additional confusion/problems/stress.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

EXACTLY✔️👍
The Regal Beagle
Highlighted

Hi @Yusufnaz, seems like a scam / spam email that you have received. Can you please forward the email to → abuse@optus.com.au. In the mean time don`t click on any link and just delete the email. Would also recommend to report the details → here.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Able to login with same p/w but a barrage of spam mail received. This hadn't happened before. What's the reason for spam mail not been filtered.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Yusufnaz wrote:
Able to login with same p/w but a barrage of spam mail received. This hadn't happened before. 

As you mentioned before that you were expecting a credit card fraud form is that because you had fraudulent credit card transactions on your credit card?

What fraudsters do sometimes is they send you a ton of spam (like hundreds/thousands pieces of spam) in an attempt to hide their fraudulent transactions among the noise of the spam.

So the fact that you can get into the email account it is unlikely that they compromised the email account, but with the activity you have described it certainly makes sense to change the email password just in case. And if you have used that same password for any other account (which you should no be doing in any case) you should change those others as well.

Don't just delete the spam in bulk, you need to check through them carefully especially any that mention purchases/orders/tracking/receipts/password changes/login notifications/new accounts etc.