Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mojorising2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Disable Optus App PIN

How do I remove or disable the PIN from the Optus App on my Android phone?

I used to run the App with no PIN.

When I was in the Optus shop last week the woman in the shop asked me to set up the PIN so she could do something with my account.

Now I cannot remove the PIN.

The Optus App is just used for checking how much data you have got left.

It is not a banking App. It does not need a separate PIN. It would be good if it could be disabled as well as enabled.

This is not the phone PIN I am talking about. It is an additional optional PIN that can be put on the Optus App itself.

8 Replies
Mojorising2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Disable Optus App PIN

I did try uninstall and reinstall.

After I reinstall the App ran with no PIN for 1 hour.

Then it somehow remembered the PIN from the previous install and activated the old PIN again.

I don't know how it re-activated the PIN by itself.
0 Kudos
Aron_YC

Hi Mojorising2

It's not possible to remove the PIN on your My Optus app. This is in place as the app can be used to control your services and request changes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If you're only using the app to check your data usage, would using the accompanying widget be a better alternative? Data usage at a glance, no pin required, etc

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Mojorising2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@AronYC,

I humbly submit that you are over-estimating the criticality of security on the Optus App

I have the eBay app on my phone (can spend unlimited money straight from my bank account and send items to any address) with no PIN

This apps relies on the security of the phone for access which is typically adequate.

The Optus App is a fairly humble app in comparison in terms of how much havoc a malign actor could wreak if they managed to get into it.

I would opine that a separate PIN is kind of overkill.

I would suggest that the PIN be optional.

Mojorising2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@SamSam,

That sounds interesting.

Is this an Optus App?

I want to know how much data has been used on my Optus account this billing month (not just on my device)

Is there a link?

0 Kudos
Nard_YC

@Mojorising2, we appreciate your suggestions and have passed this on as feedback. You can also submit your feedback for changes you'd like to see in the My Optus App under "More" > "Feedback".

I'd recommend exploring our App Widget as suggested by @SamSam as this will give you your total data usage at a glance from your home screen or lockscreen (depending on your handset) for the current billing cycle of your Optus Account. 

If you require to view a breakdown of how much data each service has used individually, you'll still need to sign into the My Optus App or the My Account website.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Mojorising2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Nard

Thanks. I have installed the widget. It is pretty useful once you are locked into using a PIN on the App.

The only downside is that it uses a lot of space (enough for 4 app shortcuts).

I tried to put it inside a folder to save on space but it seems that Android does not allow widgets to be put inside folders.

Going back to my original query, it is a little bit odd that you are free to use the App with no PIN as long as you want. It is only once you set a PIN for the first time that you are then and forever more locked into using a PIN.

I only set the PIN because the lady in the Optus shop asked me to because she said she needed the PIN switched on to investigate something in my account (...thank you Optus Shop Lady!).

If it is optional before you set it then I don't really see why it should cease to be optional after you set it once.

Anyway, thanks for escalating my suggestion.

0 Kudos
Ai2Qi2Ci
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes I have the same problem, The pop up screen requesting a pin bugs me straight out. I have a mobile that has security of which I use, I also have set a biometric for the app. A pin is something that I regard as out dated. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors