Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
nakristinam
New Contributor
New Contributor

park numbers

hi I will be away for around 12 months and I want to keep my number. I've seen post about people 'parking' their number with cheap prepaid plans with aldi and such but I don't get how it works. does that mean I need to cancel my plan with Optus (I no longer have contracts) and register my phone number with a new provider? how does it work? 

thanks 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: park numbers

What you do is sign up with one of the prepaid long life plan with another company, and you will be given the option to either get a new number or "port" your existing number from another carrier (i.e. from Optus)

You have to have an active number for a port, so do not cancel the Optus number before you port. the port it self should trigger the cancellation of your Optus service (but its best that your confirm the cancellation with Optus after the number has been ported).

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It's a little daunting first time but actually very straight forward and automatic

1) Go to the Amayasim website and but the $10 prepaid plan that lasts a year.
2) Wait for the Sim to arrive in the post
3) Return to the Amayasim website and select activate Sim
4) Type in the number you want to port (keep)
5) Get the confirmation code they send to your old phone
6) Swap Sims and the new one will be activated shortly
7) Done
8. set a reminder to pay $10 in 11 months.

Optus doesn't need to be involved at any stage. The port automatically cancels your plan

nakristinam
New Contributor
New Contributor

thank you so much!!

Kartika

Hi @nakristinam, we also offer Prepaid Long expiry plan where our customers get 186 days validity for $30 recharge or above. Please refer to our → prepaid page for more info. Since you are already a post-paid customer with us you can just speak with our customer care team either via the → messaging service or by calling them on 133937 - Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm Sat: 9am - 5pm AEST to transfer the service to prepaid. You keep the same number and sim card to continue. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"we also offer Prepaid Long expiry plan"

Optus charges 6x what other Telco's do to simply park your phone number (i.e. a fee for doing essentially nothing) . Optus should not be looking  to make money from doing nothing.

0 Kudos