Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: bpay

"But think it is unfair to be charged if I pay by BPAY."

Why? BPay charge Optus to process the transaction. Why is it unfair for Optus to charge you? All those other companies that offer "free payments" have actually just rolled the fee into service price anyway. Those companies basically give no one any choice but to pay the (hidden) fee. Optus at least offers customer a choice to avoid the fee even if you decide you don't want to take it up.
0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi Margaret, non-direct debit fee as the name suggests is charged if you don`t have direct debit setup with us. The only way to avoid this fee is by setting up direct debit. Please refer to our → billing fee page for more info.

We don`t charge any fee for Bpay payment made via bank (saving / cheque) accounts.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
As a credit card payment is by definition "a non-direct debit" payment then for me

I pay by direct debit, and its from a credit card, and I don't get charged any fees.

A direct debit is an Optus initiated payment, it has nothing to do with the payment method used (credit card/debit card/cheque account/bank account etc.).

As the $2.20 charge is levied based solely on who initiated the payment, and not the payment method used, then that $2.20 does not fall into the "credit card" category. And as the payment is not late, it doesn't fall into the "late payment" category.

Now if Optus simply put the price up on all plans by $2.20 and simply offered a $2.20 "discount" if you selected Direct Debit then I suspect that would be legally OK?

There are definitely companies that do that, and they call it a "pay on time bonus/discount", or something like that. One that comes immediately to mind is post office P.O. box rentals that doe that.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Kartika 

There are clear contradictions in the CIS, as you can see from this extract. 

Non-direct debit fee
A $2.20 fee will be charged each month if you choose not
to pay your bill by direct debit. To set-up direct debit
go to optus.com.au/myaccount
Exception: For payments made by credit, debit, charge
or prepaid cards, the non-direct debit fee will not apply.

Can you please have this looked at as there is clearly a problem with the way this section is worded.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Based on that Optus definitely view the "non-direct fee" as a payment levy. If they didn't put in that exception they are effectively billing $2.20 (plus the 40c payment) fee and that would be charging an unreasonable amount for processing the payment.

The ACCC law on this is pretty clear for once. They make it extremely clear that if someone wants to pay by credit card or debit card then the only fee relating to processing the payment can be the reasonable ~1% one (Optus actually charge much less than the ACCC require funnily enough).
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
Based on that Optus definitely view the "non-direct fee" as a payment levy. 

Absolutely.

If they didn't put in that exception they are effectively billing $2.20 (plus the 40c payment) fee and that would be charging an unreasonable amount for processing the payment.

Agreed.

The ACCC law on this is pretty clear for once.

Yep, and as far as I can tell Optus are in compliance. But the way they word things, whether it be in the CIS, or Late payment and other billing fees its as clear as mud as to which non-direct debit methods will not incur a fee.

So paying manually by credit card should only incur the 0.427% fee and not the $2.20, but the way most people read Optus' language that isn't an easy conclusion to come to. And people shouldn't need a knowledge of the ACCC laws to recognise why that exclusion section is there.

They make it extremely clear that if someone wants to pay by credit card or debit card then the only fee relating to processing the payment can be the reasonable ~1%.

Yep, so paying manually by BPAY is clearly the main way to get slugged the $2.20.

0 Kudos