cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

bpay

I'd like to enquire why I always get charged a fee for not using direct debit. I pay by bpay which should not incur any fees. This has been the case for all the years I have been with optus. Cannot understand. I think it is wrong. I am not using a credit card (only occassionally)

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: bpay

All payment methods involve a cost to Optus. BPay is especially expensive as BPay charge Optus a direct processing fee for every customer that uses their services. If you haven't been being charged to date its more a processing error (lucky you) and not what was meant to happen.

Optus are legally required to provide one free payment option and they've chosen direct debit as the one (pretty much every one has a bank account). They've probably done this because its a very cheap payment process and it provides a number of benefits to them (i.e. more customers likely to pay on time)

The Non-Direct Debit Fee (which I believe is now just the "processing fee") has been reduce from $2.20 to about 40c for a typical $100 bill. If you want to avoid it you'll need to set up direct debit.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

What does it say in the "Payment processing fee" section on the Critical Information Summary (CIS) sheet for your specific plan?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
The Non-Direct Debit Fee (which I believe is now just the "processing fee") has been reduce from $2.20 to about 40c for a typical $100 bill. 

What's this "40 cents" thing about? I'm still being slugged the monthly $2.20 because I pay with bpay. 

And now they've resorted to annoying text messages  5 days before bill is due, with no way to opt-out. Optus really knows how to incite grinding gears. "Customer service" now means "how can the customer serve the business". 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @retro-nachos, if you download you itemised PDF bill it will tell you what the $2.20 charge is for. It is either a non-debit fee or a paper bill fee (to receive paper bills). Please refer to our → billing fees page for more info.

You can avoid the non-direct debit fee by setting up direct debit on the account and the Paper bill fee by opting for email (online) billing.

Payment processing fee is charged when customer makes a manual credit card payment. Can you avoided by setting up direct debit as it does not apply on direct debit payments.

To want to discuss more about your bill then you are best to speak with our billing team via the  → messaging service to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@retro-natchos

"I'm still being slugged the monthly $2.20 because I pay with BPay"

There's pretty widespread condemnation of the $2.20 fee. Even the ACCC has weighed in and made it illegal in many payment cases. You'd think Optus would take the hint and adjust all of its payment fees but they haven't done that, just the bare legal minimum.

That said, I've little sympathy for people that choose the convenience of BPay. Its a company set up solely to process fees and charge the company (Optus) for each one it does. If you prefer that method because it suits you then I guess you'll pay whatever Optus decide to slug you with for it.

As mentioned their is a free option and now (thanks to the ACCC) Paying by credit or debit card attracts only a very nominal fee (~40c). How much you pay is decidedly up to you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
@retro-natchos
As mentioned their is a free option and now (thanks to the ACCC) Paying by credit or debit card attracts only a very nominal fee (~40c). How much you pay is decidedly up to you.

I'd be fine with paying by credit card and the 40 cents, if it were possible to manually pay each time rather than storing the card for their auto-payments. Maybe I can pay manually each time with credit card? I assumed not.

I do not like auto-payments of any kind, or storing my credit card. I do not use direct debit or anything that involves taking money from me without my explicit action. 

I respect other's right to choose direct debit, but I choose to manually pay. I expect not to be punished with a $2.20 fee for choosing that method. 40 cents, fine, whatever. But $2.20 is clearly a penalty designed to nudge people to direct debit. No wonder ACCC got involved.

Even the other reply from rep in this thread has nothing to say except "use direct debit", which is an answer to a different question. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I do know what it is for. But think it is unfair to be charged if I pay by BPAY.  I DO NOT pay by credit card & do not want to set up direct debit as I need to pay my bill when I can

Regards

Margaret

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@retro-nachos wrote:
if it were possible to manually pay each time rather than storing the card for their auto-payments. Maybe I can pay manually each time with credit card? 

You can use their direct payment page: https://secure.optus.com.au/paymybill

But $2.20 is clearly a penalty designed to nudge people to direct debit.

Agree. The consensus seems to be that you can't pay manually via credit card without being slugged the $2.20, yet the CIS for my NBN plan seems to state otherwise:

Non-direct debit fee
A $2.20 fee will be charged each month if you choose not
to pay your bill by direct debit. To set-up direct debit
go to optus.com.au/myaccount
Exception: For payments made by credit, debit, charge
or prepaid cards, the non-direct debit fee will not apply.

No wonder ACCC got involved.

I don't believe they have. The only two scenarios I'm aware of the ACCC looking into are excessive credit card charges, and excessive late payment fees. The $2.20 non-direct debit fee does not fit into either of those two categories.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"The $2.20 non-direct debit fee does not fit into either of those two categories"

As a credit card payment is by definition "a non-direct debit" payment then for me, its essentially an excessive fee for using your credit card as a payment mechanism (which is illegal).

Now if Optus simply put the price up on all plans by $2.20 and simply offered a $2.20 "discount" if you selected Direct Debit then I suspect that would be legally OK?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors