cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Why did Optus send me a payment reminder text when I have Direct Debit?

@IvB wrote:
It reads: "Hi, we've noticed you've not paid your bill yet and unfortunately it's now overdue. We're here to support you during these uncertain times so if you're having difficulty with your bill, visit optus.com.au/financialhardship or contact us optus.com.au/contactus. Otherwise please pay $187.36 now for (wrong account number here) via credit card at optus.com.au/paymybill so we can continue to provide your service. Already made this payment? Thanks. You're all set."

That seems to be legit, so could just be being sent to you by mistake. You should contact Optus directly to let them know.

the links take you to sites that look legit too.

You need to be very careful of links, if you do click on them you (always wise avoid clicking links in emails) should always check the site URL that it takes you, not just judge the sites validity purely on how it looks.

I received this fake myGov email just a couple of days ago:

Image3.png

Notice the link text in the popup in the green box, that's what I get when I moved my mouse over the "Secure Form" button, and it is a legit URL, but that is just a text description, the true link if I was to press the button would have taken me to a scam site. Be careful out there!!!

IvB
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Payment

The 1st message 3 days ago was the same but started with: Hi did you know you have options for managing your Optus bill? We've...etcThe 1st message 3 days ago was the same but started with: Hi did you know you have options for managing your Optus bill? We've...etc

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

As per my post in the other thread, looks legit if misdirected.

At least with SMS messages they can't fake links, they will always take you to the sites that it shows, and nowhere else.

0 Kudos
IvB
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

actually, I think I've just worked out the problem - this is my new NBN account with Optus! So it looks like my previous ADSL account hasn't been cancelled and is still being charged to my bank account. So I'm being charged for 2 services even though I've switched over...but hey, maybe Optus will answer their phones tomorrow for me to sort this out! Thanks for your interest! Cheers

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@IvB wrote:

So I'm being charged for 2 services even though I've switched over..

Wouldn't be the first time they haven't closed an old account properly.

maybe Optus will answer their phones tomorrow for me to sort this out! 

Just make sure that they refund you if they've taken extra payments from you, should be no problem though.

! Thanks for your interest! 

👍

smacl
New Contributor
New Contributor

I hope Optus is monitoring this thread to clarify what's going on. Incidentally the account number in the text I received was correct.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@smacl wrote:
I hope Optus is monitoring this thread to clarify what's going on.

Nope. And even if they do see it, the staff here don't have access to your account so they woun't be able to check/do anything.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Face Palm.

No personalisation (include a name at least). An account number doesn't count as who's going to go look up what there's should be. Lots of links. Threats of imminent disconnection. Stipulating credit card payments (what's that about) and even bad English ("Already paid..." "unfortunately, it's...") - Not sure on the grammar of that last one.

The jury is still out on if its a phishing attack for me but if its not Optus should be quartered to educating and encouraging their customers to get fleeced. A proper SMS should be simple and direct 

"Hi Paul, your bill for your account NBN account 65734635 is now overdue. To avoid a disruption in your service please arrange to pay through our online portal or other methods listed on your bill. "

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:

Face Palm.

You face must be numb by now with all the face palm worthy thing Optus do 😉.

@petergdownload wrote:

Face Palm.

No personalisation (include a name at least).

Yeah, I just don't get how they still can't work out that every single personal communication that comes from Optus must have first name as a bare minimum 😕.

Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Of course everything is monitored, smacl 🙂 

Please see this thread: How Yes Crowd helps tackle scam SMS for Optus customers

I agree with the guys that particular text looks legit. Perhaps the Account Holder of that account number has a similar mobile number and entered a typo as their contact number for Optus notifications.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors