Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Why did Optus send me a payment reminder text when I have Direct Debit?

Why did I get a text telling me I hadn't paid my account when I had already set up direct debit? I just checked and it is definitely set up. Isn't the point of direct debit that you don't have to remember to pay the bill but it happens automatically? 

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: direct debit

Direct debit take affect from your next bill. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Payment

I have received a text saying that "We've noticed that your account hidden114745052 hasn't been paid. You can pay ..."

I have regular direct debit set up, and do not know why the payment has not gone through this month.  Please advise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Payment

Links provided to pay?

Probably spam. Log into your account separately (not links!) or check your account on the mobile app. It should reflect your current balance.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Why did Optus send me a payment reminder text when I have Direct Debit?

Can't answer your query but can at least reassure you that you're not the only one! Likewise I've had 2 in the last few days citing an account number which isn't mine, asking for payment of $187 despite having direct debit set up, which has been charged of late. Also can't find a way to contact Optus to sort out either by phone or online chat - keeps sending me to their app, which doesn't seem to have any message facility working either right now. Verrry irritating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I've had 2 of these of late and immediately thought it was probably spam - but it's coming as a text from the same number Optus usually uses for messages. Weird.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@IvB wrote:

I've had 2 in the last few days citing an account number which isn't mine

If the account number is not even yours its either being sent to you by mistake, or its a scam.

If you post the email here (minus any personal details like the account number) maybe we can at least determine if it looks like a scam or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It reads: "Hi, we've noticed you've not paid your bill yet and unfortunately it's now overdue. We're here to support you during these uncertain times so if you're having difficulty with your bill, visit optus.com.au/financialhardship or contact us optus.com.au/contactus. Otherwise please pay $187.36 now for (wrong account number here) via credit card at optus.com.au/paymybill so we can continue to provide your service. Already made this payment? Thanks. You're all set." and it from the same OptusMSG source as previous legit messages have come from Optus and the links take you to sites that look legit too.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@IvB wrote:

I've had 2 of these of late and immediately thought it was probably spam - but it's coming as a text from the same number Optus usually uses for messages. Weird.

Numbers are easily spoofed and can not be relied upon to authenticate the source.

Can you post a screenshot of the message (with any personal info like your phone number blacked out) so that we can take a look).

If both text messages are not 100% identical, can you post images of both. There is one version of SMS scam that send a 100% legit looking text with a legit link first to give you a false sense of legitimacy, but subsequent texts also look very convincing, but this time the link goes to a clearly scam site.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

yeah, I figured it was just a mistake but then it came again 3 days later
0 Kudos