cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

UPCOMING BILL REMINDER

Hello, I received  a reminder by text for an up coming optus bill stating the date due of one of the two accounts I hold (mobiles and internet) but not specifying which of the two.  There was an option to "pay now" This has not happened before.  I am wondering if this a legitimate reminder or a scam.

Hoping you can help with this query. 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: UPCOMING BILL REMINDER

Not enough info to determine if its legit or not.

Can you provide the exact text (minus any personal/account details), including the pay now link so that we can take a look at it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @MACL, our billing notification was recently updated where customers receive bill reminder 5 days prior to the bill due date. So it could be a legit sms reminder. However we need to look into your to confirm. Unfortunately, we don`t have access to customers account on this public forum. You will need to speak with our support team via the →  messaging service to look into this for you. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I don't think Optus would be so irresponsible as to be sending out emails or SMS with big Pay Now buttons or links. It's a scam.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Kartika wrote:

...our billing notification was recently updated where customers receive bill reminder 5 days prior to the bill due date.

How do I opt out of this?

I never asked for these reminders, nor do I need a reminder before the due date. SMS alerts should be 100% opt-in, particularly for a bill that is NOT YET OWING.

Yet another bad idea from Optus. Text messages are intrusive and should be reserved for more important things. You can email me all the reminders you want, but SMS...No. STOP. Unsubscribe. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Appreciate where you are coming from @retro-nachos. As advised before we don`t have access to customers account on this public forum. Just speak with our billing team via the → messaging service so that we can look into this for you.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"You can email me all the reminders you want, but SMS...No."

They're just electronic methods of communication. One no more sacrosanct than the other.

While no doubt the number crunchers at Optus have determined that a global reminder means more payments on time it does once again point to Optus Management's fixation on money while thousand's of their customers are badgered to pay a bill that they have always paid.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

SMS is more than communication, it's an audible alert usually reserved for personal use. It's not too far from a knock at the door, requiring immediate attention. 

Like I said, an email is fine. Email doesn't trigger  an audible alert, it's a completely different form of communication. 

I will tinker with my phone (android) to see if there's a way to block the number.... okay, did that, and looks like I can't. Seems like OptusTeam has granted itself special powers on our phones to never be blocked, muted, replied to, or stopped.  And they're now exploiting that power to force reminders down our throats for bills not even due yet.

Wow. I'm opening tabs in my browser right now looking at plans from other providers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Good points and this forum is presumably designed to take such feed back. Its another Optus unilateral impost that affects their customers who are given no option to opt out. Perhaps limiting the SMS reminder o people who have paid late last month would make a lot more sense?

I've got a Nexus and if you hold down on any SMS message an option to block the number comes up. Not sure if that also blocks phone calls from that number but it should do what you want?

Amazingly enough you're almost certainly not going to leave anytime soon and will continue to endure being reminded you have a $2.20 fee coming up in 5 days. Optus is built on the old Block Buster model which was essentially charge and annoy the customer just enough to maximise profits but never enough to make them actually say goodbye forever.

There are indeed other options that are cheaper, offer more and focus on empowering their customers. But Optus won't switch to that model while their customers do nothing more than complain and pay up.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
I've got a Nexus and if you hold down on any SMS message an option to block the number comes up. Not sure if that also blocks phone calls from that number but it should do what you want?

Doesn't work on my Samsung.  Optus has a special "number" - it's not a number, "OptusTeam" which  can't be blocked. The menu option where blocking is usually found - the 3 dots that normally appear in corner, are not there when viewing text messages from OptusTeam. 

Email is always under the full control of users. I could send all Optus email straight to spam if I wanted, and that's how it should be. Optus don't like that. They come knocking on my door because a bill is due in 5 days, and they think that's worth interrupting me about. 

If I'm late to pay bill, then maybe a text message is justified. I get texts when my rent is late, or car rego late etc. But nobody but Optus has crept into the domain of sending unwanted texts about upcoming bills. 

There should be a law requiring an opt-out option, or unsubscribe or modify the frequency of SMS text  from carriers of the service. At present, they assume the role of "God Mode" or "Super Admin" on my own device. I'm offended by that. They should stick to being the carrier service which my device connects to, and get the hell out of my phone.

Top Contributors