Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
djbury
New Contributor
New Contributor

Spam Email Filtering not working

Spam filtering on my account is not working. When I go to webmail and click / tick next to a spam item in my inbox the Report Spam icon remains greyed out and I'm unable to select.

I am sick of getting unwanted spam and not having a way to deal with it. When I check the spam folder there is nothing being captured by Optus, everything is coming through.

Please help fix this issue

0 Kudos
5 Replies
George_YC

Re: Spam Email Filtering not working

Hi @djbury

Thank you for raising this issue. Have you tried clearing your cookies and cache, a private browsing session as well as a different browser? We have some more info on our Internet security: Spam, spyware & viruses support page.

Please note that we’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media account, please then send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Believe it or not, that is by design. Optus, in their infinite wisdom, made it so that you actually have to have the email open before you can mark it as spam.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Unfortunately marking an item as spam has no specific effect - you can get the exact same message again tomorrow. The Optus spam 'filter' just sends a generic report to another company that ads it to a tally of emails that are being complained about.

If you want to take control of your email then you need to setup an account you actually own (If you ever leave Optus you will lose your email). GMail is free and has excellent filtering as well as more storage, better security and other features. Its pretty easy to migrate across these days as you just set it to get you Optus emails while you notify people and companies of your new address.
0 Kudos
djbury
New Contributor
New Contributor

yes have tried all that. The change I'm seeing is the Optus are no longer running a scan before emails are released (I could see this happen in the past). I would like to understand why that is and how to fix so initial scan is completed doing forward

0 Kudos
Rob_YC

Hey @djbury, we haven't been made aware of any changes to the way emails do come through via that Spam filter. We'd like to take a look into the account to see if we can identify what's causing that. Please send through a message via the My Optus App or via Facebook or Twitter. Our team will follow up asap. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Top Contributors