Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
ab3640au
New Contributor
New Contributor

Retrieval of "sent" emails

Hi All

I realise that there have been a few questions here on retrieval of old emails, however thought I'd post as my question is fairly specific.  I use Outlook (M365) as my mail client, on my Win 10 PC.  This week I noticed some synchronisation problems with Outlook (I wasn't receiving emails in Outlook, nor the sent one's were not being received).  I have another Win 10 laptop that also has Outlook (M365) .. it was encountering the same odd synch issue.

To resolve the problem, I uninstalled and reinstalled M365 (it wouldn't allow me just to reinstall the Outlook component).  The good news is that everything now works .. however I completely forgot about backing up my OST files, so I've lost all my old emails.  I can probably live with losing a lot of them, however there are some "sent" emails that I want to retrieve if possible.  All are less than 12 months old.

Is there any way to do this?  Or is this data gone for good.  I suspect the latter, however figured that many of you will have much better knowledge on this than me; hence the question.

Many Thanks

BarryM

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kyri_YC

Re: Retrieval of "sent" emails

Hey, @ab3640au.

It's great to hear that you were able to resolve your initial troubles with the Outlook app.

In regards to the matter of retrieving your old emails, this will depend on how your emails were set up. 

If they were set up to be downloaded on the device and deleted off the server, then we won't be able to get them back and link them to the Optusnet email setup page, unfortunately.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

ab3640au
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Kyri_YC

Thankyou for the reply.  My emails were setup as IMAP (rather than POP) .. does this make a difference?  What else would I need to check?

Thanks

BarryM

0 Kudos
Kyri_YC

No worries @ab3640au.

Just to clarify, was the IMAP settings set via the Microsoft Outlook application? and also, is this concerning your Optus net Webmail service, correct?    

If so, when you log into Webmail natively online, do your previous emails appears from there?   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

ab3640au
New Contributor
New Contributor

Kyri_YC

Yes, Outlook set it up as IMAP (by default).  I've logged into my Optus Webmail .. I can see more emails in my inbox there (than the Outlook client) - 74 vs 62; but certainly not everything .. and there are very few sent items in the "sent" mail box.

As a practice (in Outlook client), I normally move my emails from the inbox and sent box to other folders created in Outlook.  I'm assuming that these folders would have been part of the "old" OST file .. they're not present now (after he fresh install of M365).

REGARDS

BarryM

0 Kudos
Aman_YC

Hi @ab3640au -   The emails folders you created in Outlook may be a part of outlook set up only and not Optusnet email. Please note the sent and inbox emails are synced with your Optusnet email login but its possible that some of these were not synced from Outlook to Optusnet. 

If you want you can setup Optusnet email again from Outlook and this may  bring all the sent emails to your new setup.

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.
If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media account, please then Optus on Facebook or on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

ab3640au
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Aman_YC

Thankyou for the reply (and thanks to all here that have offered ideas and assistance).  I had a further look at my Outlook setup tonight .. looks like the email folders that I set up were part of the Outlook archive folders .. so my old data is intact.

I set this up around 4 years ago .. I suspect that this was my rationale for setting up my folders this way .. so that they'd be included as part of the archive.

Regards (and keep safe)

Barry M

Sarah_YC

Glad to hear this has been sorted, ab3640au, thanks for confirming!

Stay safe and take care!

Top Contributors