cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Regular Requests from Optus to update my Details

Keeping you updated most personal details with changes to our contract terms and conditions is important to us and we did not receive an update of your details till today, that’s why we’re getting in touch again today.

As you are a customer currently on a bundled plan that includes both home phone and broadband services, it is important for us to have your most up-to-date personal information, if you choose to cancel either one of these services with Optus, any other service in your bundle will automatically cancel too.

Are these emails real or just bogus, I am getting that many of them I never know what is genuine and what is not.

Also I would not know where I could update my details

Hopefully someone can explain to me.

Cheers

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Regular Requests from Optus to update my Details

Unfortunately,

Optus does routinely contact customers via electronic options (SMS, Email, etc.) with no identifying personalisation and provides links and offers and information that way. For a telecommunications company to 'educate' its users that they should be clicking on such messages is really poor IMO. Optus even demands your name, DOB and address if you call them to enquire about a message they sent.

In this case you are however getting scam emails (which are probably more prevalent at Optus as their customers can't tell real from false). As a general rule NEVER respond to any electronic information with links etc. unless you have only that minute requested something be sent to you (e.g. a password reset). Always contact the company via a different avenue (login manually, phone, etc.)

Things to look out for (although they're getting much tidier these days) include:

1) No personalisation (i.e. Dear Sir, Valued Customer, Dear peterg - when my email is peterg AT outlook.com)

2) Embeded links

3) Requests for information updates (particularly banking details but also DOB etc.)

4) Veiled or direct threats (i.e. You will be cut off)

5) Poor grammar 

6) Not expecting the email (or slightly incorrect details) e.g you're a mobile customer and they're talking NBN.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Looks like this scam that we have seen before.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks petergdownload, I have searched the Optus website and there is nothing that I can find to update information, likewise on the Optus App just regular stuff buy, change name or plan and that sort of stuff, same on Help in Accounts you can only change details, I don't want to change anything.

When I call the Number they give here 133937, same thing.

Top Contributors