cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Preconnect

What does preconnect mean on your account?  I have a prepaid phone. 

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Preconnect

Hi Hendo5,

preconnect is a mobile broadband pre paid APN for a 3G plan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

What are PRECONNECT charges on my prepaid usage?

Even if no call has been made, there is a PRECONNECT charge, varying from 0.05 all the way up to 0.60, sometimes multiple times a day. The 0.60 one was after checking message bank, the others are when the phone isn't in use. Somehow my prepaid credit is being gobbled up even when the phone isn't in use 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: What are PRECONNECT charges on my prepaid usage?

Hmm, that's quite odd @jenqld, as another user noted previously. Prec-onnect was the access point name we used for certain prepaid mobile broadband plans. I'm really not sure what prepaid partition this would be charged under. Are you tethering or using the handset as a personal hotspot?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

No to both your questions DanC, but I think I've figured it out ... I turned off mobile data around the same time as I posted that question and there hasn't been another PRECONNECT charge since.  So I'm guessing that it gets added when the phone checks for a mobile data connection? 

In any case, it's my husband's phone now and he only uses it for calls, so the data can stay off as I do all the updates, etc, via the broadband connection at home.

Thanks for taking the time to respond 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, no problem @jenqld, thanks for the quick reply back! Well that's definitely handy to know. I'll get in touch with one of my colleagues and see if he can offer any more insight. If I find out anything useful, I'll post back here 🙂 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Why charge so much even not connected don’t understand about svod_netflix what a rip off ...someone can explain?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am also getting large useage charges for PRECONNECT.  In the last 4 days I have had 7 charges totalling more than 2.5gb - one for 1.345gb and another for 1.2gb.  They are at odd times except for 2 charges today and yesterday at exactly 11:17am, when I was no where near my prepaid mobile broadband.

This seems to be a great way for Optus to eat up your prepaid data.  Please resolve the issue before I take my next topup elsewhere.

Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @VC8 - thanks for getting in touch. Can you please confirm your mobile number, full name and DOB via private message? I'll take a look into this for you. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi, 

I also just noticed some pretty large PRECONNECT charges lately. I have just had to recharge prepaid Wi-Fi after only 6 weeks when usually a top up lasts me 5 or 6 months. I looked at my usage details and saw PRECONNECT used 1.8GB on 6th August and a whopping 6.3GB at 8.15am on 16th August. I can't see how far back theae PRECONNECT charges go as my records don't go any further than the start of August.

Can you please explain this to me and tell me if this is normal? 

Cheers.

Top Contributors