Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
angier
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus emails not being delivered to hotmail addresses

By chance, I discovered on Friday 21 May that Optus emails to hotmail addresses were not being delivered on an intermittent basis.  The emails are in my 'Sent' box as normal, and are not returned as 'undeliverable'. It's only when you speak to the hotmail addressee that you find out that they did not receive your email. In the past few days I have checked with numerous friends who are Optus email users who have then checked with hotmail addressees only to find out their emails have not been received.   Some emails to hotmail addresses have been going through periodically, but most are not, and emails that were not delivered initially have never turned up. So if you are expecting a response from a hotmail user, they may not have received your email in the first place.  I have not had this problem before, nor have I changed any security settings.  Has anyone else noticed this problem in the past few days. Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
66 Replies
Serena_YC

Re: Optus emails not being delivered to hotmail addresses

Hi @angier,

Thanks for taking the time to raise this with us here. 

At this stage, we have not had any reports of emails sent from OptusNet email addresses not being sent to Hotmail email addresses. 

Just in case this is causing the issue, I would recommend checking the outgoing mail settings for your OptusNet email account. You can find the steps listed here on our Using an email application with OptusNet email support page. 

If the issue persists, please do have a chat with our Technical Support team via the My Optus app for further assistance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@angierDave, I suggest searching the yes crowd to see what end users have done in the past with this sort of problem as support sucks. Or try https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/15.

angier
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Serena, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, this is still an issue.  Emails I sent to a hotmail address this morning were immediately delivered.  Those sent this afternoon did not arrive, and previous ones from the past few days never turned up. A friend, who is also an Optusnet email user experiencing the same problem, had a 'live chat' with Optus and was advised to 'contact hotmail' which is not very helpful especially when you are not a hotmail user.  Interestingly, I have now heard from a colleague who uses Optusnet and his emails to an outlook.com address were also not received.  So the common denominator appears to Microsoft-owned email applications. Strangely, there is no problem with incoming emails from hotmail addresses.  

I checked the link you supplied but it did not list my version of email application which is Microsoft 365 (unless that is a re-badge of one of those listed).

Of course, the intermittent nature of this issue makes it difficult to resolve, but I guess I will talk to tech support to see where the missing emails have gone because they have not bounced back.

Thanks for any other further you may be able to provide. 

0 Kudos
angier
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dave, will see what I can find here, and then maybe try whirlpool. Regards

0 Kudos
Kartika

Yes @angier since this is a public forum we can`t access customers account details here. As such your best to contact our Technical Support team via the → messaging service or over the phone → 1300 300 427 Mon - Sun: 8am - 8pm to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
suehealey4
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am having the same problem!! have you solved it??
appreciate it if you have any clues!!
thanks
0 Kudos
angier
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, no resolution yet.  I sent a test message this morning to a hotmail address which was not received. I now have 4 friends who are Optusnet users all having the same problem, so I don't think it's anything to do with my particular account but I will follow-up with Tech Support and let you know what they say, although the 'live-chat' advice from last week to 'contact Hotmail' was not helpful.  Because the emails are not returned as 'undeliverable', you don't know you have a problem until you actually speak to the addressee to ask why they didn't reply.  I will let you know the outcome, but unfortunately won't be free to ring Tech Support until Monday. Regards

0 Kudos
suehealey4
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am having the exact same problem.

So it cannot be your particular account.

it is not a hotmail issue? as we can receive those successfully.

Lets hope some resolution can be found?

I dont want to have to change my email. nightmare.

0 Kudos
angier
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

You're right Sue - no problem with incoming messages from Hotmail.  And the other problem, of course, is that the non-delivery is intermittent. Over the past 7 days, I've had the occasional test message go through successfully to my Hotmail addressee so I think the problem has resolved itself, only to have non-delivered messages a few hours later.  Maybe when I talk to Tech Support, they can look at the 'Sent' messages which have not been delivered and discover what happened to them. Regards

0 Kudos