cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

MMelb
New Contributor
New Contributor

Odd text - is it phishing?

I received this text this morning supposedly from OptusVerify:

To avoid any issues with your mobile contract please follow the link below.

www.optus.com.au-verify.ef-e.co/authorise

It looks like phishing to me and I haven't opened the link.  Can anyone confirm this please?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Odd text - is it phishing?

@MMelb looks like a scam to me.
Go to https://www.optus.com.au/support/consumer-advice/scams
there is an email address on the link to report the scam.
I cannot add the email address to this reply as email addresses are hidden by default.

I am an Optus user.
George_YC

Hey @MMelb, this is a scam text, good catch!

We have already taken steps to have the site taken down. 

Please ensure you delete the SMS immediately and stay away from the site. If you have clicked the link and provided info, please change all the details that you may have provided.

You can also find out more info about scams on our Latest scams & digital safety page.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

MMelb
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks!

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@George_YC wrote:

We have already taken steps to have the site taken down. 

This is a very misleading statement. Optus does not take down sites, or does so only very rarely. 

All Optus usually does is simply block access to sites from the Optus network and only if customers are using the Optus DNS servers. This means that there still many Optus customers that are left vulnerable.

For example, if you are an Optus NBN customer but not an Optus mobile customer and you clicked that link in the text message you would not be protected by Optus' "take down" of that site (which by the was has already been implemented).