Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
virtualpsycholo
New Contributor
New Contributor

Microsoft account charges to Optus

Hi, I received an email from Optus saying one of my phone numbers has incurred a $10.95 charge for a game, app or movie that was downloaded via a microsoft powered platform. However I have never downloaded or agreed to this app/movie/game. Is this a hoax email? It came from hidden

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Microsoft account charges to Optus

Its no doubt a scam.

I assume that there is some link in there to "verify" the purchase.

Can you post the email here (minus any personal info, if any)?

0 Kudos
virtualpsycholo
New Contributor
New Contributor

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 4.14.03 pm.png

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Thanks, but can you paste the actual text and not an image so that I can check if those 3 links are valid.

That email, while unusual, does not scream scam to me unless those links are dodgy, though the generic nature of the info is a warning sign.  You could potentially have received this email in error (i.e. sent to wrong email address).

Optus used to allow 3rd party billing in the past but I don't know if they still allow that in any situation, so I don't know if there is any possibility of this type of email even being valid.

0 Kudos
virtualpsycholo
New Contributor
New Contributor

Many thanks for your replies. The account number they reference is correct as is the mobile number. However we are a frontline mental health business and genuinely do not play games/download apps or watch videos. So we are a bit concerned about this added charge and breach of data.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Many thanks for your replies. The account number they reference is correct as is the mobile number.

Well, if it contains valid account number and phone number then it is less likely to be a scam, but not impossible if that info came from a breach somewhere and is being used to present it self a coming from a legitimate source.

However we are a frontline mental health business and genuinely do not play games/download apps or watch videos.

So no chance whatsoever that somebody used a device during say a lunch break?

I'd suggest checking the Microsoft store purchase/subscription/download history and see if you can identify the possible item(s), or contacting Microsoft. Also if the Microsoft account is linked to a payment method, check the charges on that payment method.

Other than that, and seeing the actual links of the 3 links in the image, not much more I can add I'm afraid.