Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Is this a scam?

I have received an email bill after switching over to the NBN. But it has a different account no (starting with hidden) and I have always got paper bills (just paid one actually). Should I just ignore it?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Is this a scam?

Not enough info to make that determination, but there are definitely scam emails going around.

Can you post the email here (minus any personal info such as name/phone number/account number) so that we can take a look.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi P------,
Your bill payment on account hidden----------- is a little late, so we're getting in touch to get things back on track. Please make a payment of $63.00. You can pay online here, in the My Optus app, or via your preferred payment option.

If you've recently made payment, or arranged a payment extension, please disregard.
What happens if I don't pay?
It's likely you'll see late fees applied to your account if payment is not received.
Need extra time or some support?
If you require an extension, head to the My Optus app
If you're experiencing financial difficulties or need help with a payment plan we might be able to help. Find out more at optus.com.au/financialhardship.
Thanks,
Your Optus Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

That looks legit.

The difference in account numbers could be them moving you to a new system as a result of the switch.

You will need to contact Optus directly, not in this public forum, if its not clear what the overdue amount is for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I rang OPTUS and it appears to be a scam. They would never send an email like that to someone who has been getting paper bills.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks for reporting back, pjb63.

If the agent didn't already inform you, please see our help and support page: Reporting hoaxes, phishing and scams

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@pjb63 wrote:
I rang OPTUS and it appears to be a scam.

All the links in that message are legit. The only time I've heard of that happening with scams is when the scammers follow up a "legit looking" email with another one soon after which contains multiple valid links but one dodgy one. The first email sent to give a false sense of confidence.

They would never send an email like that to someone who has been getting paper bills.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a migration went wrong and all the correct setting were not migrated across.

Also, maybe they didn't actually migrate you but instead just signed you up for a new service. That would account for a different account number as well an an outstanding amount if there are two bills to be paid instead of one.

Did you tell Optus the new account number and see what they say about it? Did they confirm that that account number was not valid, or that it belonged to someone else?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The OPTUS guy didn't ask for any details about the email. Yes I did get a new service - a mobile account which would explain a different account number perhaps. But why would I get an email bill when I have always got paper ones for my other Optus accounts? Also there are no details in the email as to what the bill is for. And it seems inherently risky giving my credit card details (which they asked for), compared to a paper bill which I pay using a direct transfer to a known Optus account. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I went to the chat area on the homepage and the email seems to be legit. The account no is for my new mobile account and for some reason the email bill box was ticked instead of the paper one. Just be on the safe side I have asked for a paper bill and then I can do a direct transfer or Bpay. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The account no is for my new mobile account and for some reason the email bill box was ticked instead of the paper one

Because its a new service and it must be the default for a new service.

0 Kudos