Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
colinholloway
New Contributor
New Contributor

Is This a Scam Text?

I have been getting texts like the example below:

OPTUSMSG: Friendly reminder to return your device for your service request L-171662. Be sure to back up your device and disable your password. Please return within 4 days to avoid fees. Need Help? Go to Optus.com.au/contactus

There isn't any obvious phishing link as the contact us link is valid.  I don't have any outstanding service requests so I'm puzzled by this one.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Serena_YC

Re: Is This a Scam Text?

Hi @colinholloway

The SMS that you had received appears to be in reference to the return of a leased device. If you had recently recontracted your service from a leasing plan, you would either need to return the leased device or you can also opt to purchase the device at the fair market value if you prefer to keep the device instead. 

I have also attached our How to return your leased mobile device support page for you should you like to find out more. 

If you require further assistance on this, I would suggest reaching out to our Customer Care teams via the My Optus app as we are unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Is This a Scam Text?

@Serena_YC 

Are Optus ever going to get their act together and include proper personalised salutations in ALL their SMS/email communications? Without them they ALL just read like spam/scam messages.

0 Kudos