cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
pioneer82011
New Contributor
New Contributor

I need a new phone from optus but am a permanent resident and don't have australian ID documents. I

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Casey_YC

Re: I need a new phone from optus but am a permanent resident and don't have australian ID documents

Hi there, @pioneer82011

Thanks for reaching out.

A primary form of ID would be an International Passport and then you would need a Secondary form of ID ( like a credit card or Student ID) to make up 100 points. You can find the Identification options on our Optus ID requirements page

It's important to note that, if you are looking at getting a plan with a device repayment, that your Visa is valid for longer than the plan length.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

pioneer82011
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: I need a new phone from optus but am a permanent resident and don't have australian ID documents

I have a British passport but no current visa on it and Optus won't accept it without a current visa. I have no intention of going overseas so I am not paying $405 for a visa that I will never use so I don't see how I can give primary ID. I am an old age pensioner.

0 Kudos
Casey_YC

Hi there, @pioneer82011

It's correct that we need a current VISA for a temporary resident, however as you've said you are a permanent resident it will work differently.

A permanent resident in Australia is provided a stamp on the International passport or an email or similar stating that you are here indefinitely. Do you have this? 

I realise you said you have no Australian ID, but are you saying you don't have a green Medicare card or bank accounts in Australia that issue statements, a credit card or a Proof of Age card or drivers licence etc? As these documents will work in addition to the passport.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

pioneer82011
New Contributor
New Contributor

Like I said I am a permanent resident and although I have a current British passport there is no re-entry visa on it which costs $405 which I am not prepared to pay as I am an old age pensioner. I have lived here since 1978 and no intention of going overseas again. I have no Australian ID as I was born and married overseas so how can I get a new phone and plan

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@pioneer82011Suggest you have a look at the following or any other site that matches "100 point id check requirements" in google and see what docs you have to make the 100 points as per the doc:

https://www.sydneymovingguide.com/100-points-id/

Casey_YC

Hi @pioneer82011

As I mentioned above, I acknowledge that you are a permanent resident but that you would have needed a document or stamp on your International Passport to say this. This is what negates the need for a current VISA. 

Do you not have any of the Australian ID types that I mentioned in my last reply? A credit card or green medicare card etc? 

pioneer82011
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes have medicare card pension card senior card visa credit card etc but can't see any stamp on my passport that says I am a permanent resident which is needed for primary ID. Had a lot of trouble last time I went into Optus shop as they wouldn't accept my passport

0 Kudos
Kyri_YC

No worries @pioneer82011

If you do have a Medicare card, you can use this as a form of Secondary ID (30 Points). If you present this alongside your UK Passport, you should be able to apply for a new mobile within one of our stores. 

In regards to your PR status, this should be attached to your Passport number on your official records, whether that be with the government on your existing credit file.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You need to get your documentation sorted out then.

You can also get phones on payment plans direct from Google, Samsung and iPhone. They will likely have similar ID requirements though.
0 Kudos