Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I have an ongoing unresolved billing dispute with Optus

I am having a real issue with my combined home phone and internet account.

I keep getting charges for home phone domestic calls and do not have a phone connected as don't have a need as use my mobile.

The first time it happened was charged $7 and went on chat , explained my situation and the amount was credited but the number remained despite my asking for it to be removed.

Last month there was another charge of $5.85 but I didn't check and my account is automatically paid.  I just received this month's account and there is a charge of $21.25 on it for domestic calls. All 13.... numbers.  I did a reverse check on some of the numbers and they are not numbers I would call anyway.

I have been on chat of over an hour, trying to explain my situation with three different assistants and getting nowhere.

I am not on FB, Twitter or other social media platform so the chat and here is my only option.

Any other ideas to resolve this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Billing

Seems an annoying position to be in. Unfortunately something at Optus is mucking up and its probably going to be hard to get someone to be able to fix it.

You will probably need to keep contacting Optus for a credit each few months. They should do it without issue but at the moment many new staff are untrained and it takes ages to get through.

My suggestion would be to request the number associated with the account be changed. All Optus services come with a free landline number. Ask it be changed same as you would if you kept getting nuisance calls. Optus usually charges $90 for changing a number so make it clear its because of Optus unable to fix their billing with the current number.

Might fix it.

You can call, try using the Optus mobile app though but otherwise write:

Customer Relations Group, PO Box 306 Salisbury South 5106.

If you can't get it resolved then the other option is to just cancel your account at Optus. Then sign up again as a new customer (with a new number) or chose a whole new other RSP. Note you will probably have to replace your FetchTV if you do exit then return.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Billing

Next time ask for a manager and tell then that if it happens again you will raise a dispute with the TIO (Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman).

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I have an ongoing unresolved billing dispute with Optus

Finally, I have been promised a call back within 48 hours so will wait until then before taking up your suggestions, thank you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Still waiting, will reply here if I receive a reply or alternatively, let you know my next steps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

IME Optus very rarely "calls back". I don't know why customer service people say they will when so often they don't. If you get to someone to talk to try resolve it then and there otherwise you'll have to start over next time you call them.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry the message was via text to my phone.

Does that make a difference?

Would so much easier if I could speak to a person instead of chat or text.

Maybe I will wait until I can get through via phone or alternatively stop direct payment and pay when account is due minus the disputed amount?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Given the sums involved I would not recommend you don't pay the bill. Optus will re-credit the amounts once they realise the error but if you've not paid your bill in full then other parts of the Optus machinery will swing into action and charge late fees, cut off accounts and make notes on your national credit rating etc. You may be in the right but you really don't want the hassle of trying to get it all sorted out etc.

At the moment Optus phone and other contacts are overwhelmed. Getting through is
hard. Unfortunately these types of billing issues also seem tough to stamp out (requiring attempts each month to correct them).

If the issues continue then your main options would be to port to another provider or make a TIO complaint and hopefully Optus will look closer at the underlying problem. But hopefully your bill get corrected and there's no more issues from here on out.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Just received a message from Optus.  They are reversing the amounts from my account.

Have asked for a change in phone number or my preferred option is to not have a number at all.

I understand you do not have the phone, so I'll go ahead and waive off the phone charges on current bill and escalated the issue to our Case Manager for further investigation.

Thank you all for responses.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Wish that were the end of it Charlie. Fingers crossed you're sorted, but I've seen a lot of posts where a very reasonable resolution was sorted only to find next month you're back on the phone to them. But till then, its good to see Optus have sorted your issue.