cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

How to save emails in Optusnet webmail folders

Hi,

I need to backup Optusnet webmail emails that are in several created folders.

How to do this ? Thanks in advance !

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: How to save emails in Optusnet webmail folders

Hey @humboldt23, Do you only use the Webmail Portal or do you have your Optusnet email address accessible via another email client such as Outlook?

I'm not sure you'll be able to export from the web app, however you can definitely export emails from a client such as Outlook. From there you can export the emails to an Excel document to be saved. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, @Rob_YC .

It was only webmail originally. But I tried creating a Gmail account to pull webmail over, but it only synched the Inbox as apparently webmail doesn't have IMAP capability . I need to backup the Sent folder as well as other folders. 

These folders are all on Webmail. That's the problem.

I see IMAP championed as a potential saviour in some other threads, but I am guessing this only works if folders other than the Inbox are created in another client, not within webmail.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

If you have access to Outlook that is the easiest way. Outlook is good at copying and moving emails between accounts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @Dave-P , but from what I understand, Outlook will only copy the Inbox folder from webmail. It will not copy the Sent folder, or any folders created within webmail.

If I'm mistaken, I would appreciate it if you could please share how this is accomplished. Optus webmail does not support IMAP.

Thanks in advance !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @humboldt23 

Optus mail server most definitely will and does support IMAP. Not sure what may have stopped your attempts but it certainly works for me. Here are the settings I use:

Server : mail.optusnet.com.au
Incoming server port : 143
Security : TLS

Note that 25 / None does not work.

Also, the Sent Mail folder in webmail does appear in the IMAP folder list in Outlook, within the "Inbox" folder.

Let us know if you get stuck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

One other tip : once you get it going - if you have high numbers of emails,. especially if they have large payloads - don't try to copy or move them all in one go.

Break it into chunks, for example 25 or up to a hundred emails at a time. Too long and the operation could timeout, then you are not sure where it got to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

By default, Outlook would only synch the standard folders - Inbox, Sent, Trash.

To add your customised user folders, that you've created in Webmail, into Outlook:

Right-click on the account title in the left hand panel in outlook.
Choose the IMAP Folders option.
In the "All" tab, click the "Query" button.
After a pause, all the folders will be listed.
Click on those you want included and click the Subscribe button against them.

Above is for Outlook 2010, maybe they changed it later, not sure.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors