cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

How to download usage as a CSV or Excel file?

Hi,

How do I download the usage of data for a mobile service? Sure, I can get a 25 page PDF which has calls and SMS mixed in, but this is not practical to view the daty ausage. Also, with the numbers being left justified, and having "kbps" stuck next to them, makes them hard to read.

As simple CSV download would be perfect.  If this is not currently possible, when will it be available?

Thank you in advance,

Dave

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to download usage as a CSV or Excel file?

You can view data usage on its own via the my account portal however there does not appear to be any option to download this information other than to print it. I believe you can export data from a pdf file to excel however it's not something I have tried.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As a matter of curiosity I downloaded one of my bills from the My Account portal and to my surprise I could open the pdf file directly into Microsoft Word. From there I could export or copy and paste to Excel. From Excel you can save it in many different formats including CSV. It might be a bit of stuffing about however once you have the data in Excel you can edit out just about everything with the find replace function.

pdf.jpg

excel.jpg

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for that! I am equally surprised that a PDF would open in Word. It's days like this that I realise why I like Windows.

Great suggestion, thanks.

Prompted by that idea, I also found that I could use the "Print" facility to open a new browser window ready for printing, and copy/paste the details into notepad. Still trying to match the line item details with the total bill. No doubt, something I'm doing wrong 🙂

Thanks again for the responses here.

Cheers, Dave

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

By the way for anyone else reading, Word 2010 doesn't seem to be able to open PDFs but it does in Word 2016.

Edit : I was able to copy the text of the usage of the PDF, using Foxit PDF Reader. Then just a bit of find/replace using Notepad++ and I could make a CSV out of it.

Thank you all for the help here. Appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Great stuff Dave. There is probably a dozen different ways to do the same thing however the latest Microsoft Office appears to be well suited to the job. One program I didn't try is Open Office as that has many tools to work with pdf files and unlike the Microsoft platform it is free of charge.

https://www.openoffice.org

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have the similar problem, I want to export my Call History to CSV so that I can estimate my Tax Deductible percentage of mobile calls i.e. I want to get a 12 month history to do a reasonable job estimating my percentage of use for business purposes, but there seems no easy way to do this. I would think every person in Australia would require a function like this from their phone company to be able to satify their tax reporting requirements annually but no such function exists...        

The Optus bills are in a strange PDF format that can not be opened by any of my iMac apps without becoming garbled. Nor will Open Office open this file correctly. The bills when saved to DropBox did not even save with the .PDF extension so I had to manually rename them first. Support could offer me no options to access my phone data other than through these PDF downloads. I have no access to MS Word to see if the parts of the file I want can be accessed in the format I need as described in this solution. Anyone have a solution that is not MS platform/app dependant?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors