Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
rbamilton
New Contributor
New Contributor

Forwarded email rejected as spam

I want to forward an email that I received on my optus email account. It is an electricity bill from a legitimate electricity provider.

I am using the optus web-based email reader accessed via Firefox (ie  webmail.optusnet.com.au)

I cannot send it. I get the message

Failure sending message: 5.7.6 Message rejected as spam (CM).

It is NOT spam. It is an electricity statement from a legitimate provider.

How can forward it to the person who needs to see it?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Forwarded email rejected as spam

You'll need to contact Optus directly about that as they are the only ones that can do anything about it.

In the meantime if you have a common footer/signature in the mail try removing it as the mail server may be flagging it as spam because its seeing it frequently. See a similar situation here.

Dave-P
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the same problem recently with emails from Reds Rugby, that were flagged as spam both incoming and when I tried to forward.

If your electricity bill is a PDF, I suggest saving the PDF to your computer then attaching it to a new email, instead of trying to forward. That should work.

rbamilton
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your response.1. There is no signature

The message that i'm trying to forward is just an email - not a pdf attachment. It does contain links to the web site of the electricity provider.

0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @rbamilton, that is very strange as you should still be able to forward the email. Could be the → spam filter setting. Unfortunately, we don`t have access to customers account on this public forum. If it still does not work then please raise it with our Technical Support team either via the → messaging service or by calling them on  131344 - Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm Sat: 9am - 5pm AEST to assist you further.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
rbamilton
New Contributor
New Contributor

This problem still persists.

Interestingly when I forward the email to myself (ie my optus email account to my optus email account - ie to the same account)  it gets sent OK but then appears in my spam folder. However when I try to send it to my gmail account, it get rejected as spam and is not sent nor is it copied to the Sent folder - that is, the rejection is not happening at the gmail end - it is happening at the optus end and is not even getting to gmail server. If gmail was the rejection initiator, I would get an email saying it was rejected by gmail server as spam. It does not get that far. The problem is at the Optus end.

I don't want to spend hours on waiting on the phone to optus tech help only to talk to someone who has no idea of how to solve the problem. I've experienced this 'service?'  recently and it took multiple calls over 7 or so days to  solve a problem. (My optus landline - connected to optus by the NBN' - suddenly lost the ability to make calls but could still receive them. How many times do you reboot the modem, connect/disconnect the phone before it finally sinks in that the problem lies elsewhere? It was eventually solved after multiple attempts by optus techs.)

I've over talking to 'tech support' people who don't have the knowledge and/or authority and/or tools to solve problems. Problems should be solved in no more than a couple of calls.

End of rant.

Any new ideas on the spam problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
vk3col
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having exactly the same problem today without having changed anything this end. I send on emails to a list of friends using BCC and I have been continually getting the rejected as spam message. After trying to send one to myself and failing, I changed to a different list of clients which included the original sender and it then went??? I can't explain it and have no idea what is going on other than it is Optus Webmail filters somewhere. I don't want their spam filter, I run my own and do not want to lose emails they think are spam. I have found many legitimate emails in the Webmail spam folder that I have never received. Optus need a lot of work done to their system all around if they want to keep customers.

rbamilton
New Contributor
New Contributor

Agreed. It's still a problem for me.

By systematically deleting parts of the email that I'm trying to forward, I've isolated the section of email source code (HTML) that's causing the problem. I don't have time to find the specific line(s) of code that cause the problem but it is somewhere within a block of a few dozen lines of code.

I've lost the desire to spend any more time trying to solve a problem that is the responsibility of Optus.

0 Kudos
vk3col
Contributor
Contributor

I have since solved my problem, but the reason is not entirely clear. The problem occurs only with one person on my email list when I try to forward is messages. I got around this by saving the content, then sending it as a new message. The strange part is I have checked with all the others on the list and all use HTML and I only have a problem with one. Possibly it because he is in Thailand and maybe something strange that is not visible is added to their emails? Anyway, I can live with that as long as my 356mbps download speed keeps up. The speed actually dropped down to around 100, so I moved the modem to a room looking at the tower and put it in front of the window, feeding it with a 35' length of ethernet cable and speed back up again.

0 Kudos