cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Direct Debit Fee page needs correction. (And tortuous LiveChat session)

Answering another post on direct debit fees and noted the official Optus fees page seems either incorrect, confusing, misleading (or all three).

Currently it reads as: If you choose not to pay your account by direct debit, a $2.20 processing fee is charged to your monthly bill(s).  This fee can be avoided if paying with direct debit or via credit, debit, charge or prepaid cards.

The second sentence is the issue with the word OR suggesting there is more than one payment option that will avoid the fee. Perhaps something to review @Dan_C ? 

On a lighter note, my attempt to clarify this via livechat was funny (in a pulling teeth sort of way). First Alice who didn't know but would let me ask anyone else finally followed by Aris who took a while to actually let me ask my question, answered it and then immeadiately clarified the exact opposite. Still don't know the answer but gave up in the end. 

-----

Auto-Generated Message (15:36:25 AEST) : Hi, this is Nancy A, your Optus Sales consultant. How can I help?
Visitor (15:37:27 AEST) : Hi I had a quick query on the direct debit payment fee ($2.20)
Nancy A (15:37:33 AEST) : Hello
Nancy A (15:37:36 AEST) : Sure.
Nancy A (15:38:01 AEST) : If you're receiving paper bill you will be charged $2
Visitor (15:38:32 AEST) : Not the paper bill fee, the non direct debit fee ($2.20)
Nancy A (15:39:13 AEST) : To check on this I can connect you to our service team
Visitor (15:39:17 AEST) : ok
Nancy A (15:39:24 AEST) : Can I have your full name, DOB and 'home phone number?
Visitor (15:39:34 AEST) : Not needed. Just wanting some general info
Nancy A (15:40:07 AEST) : I will connect you to the right team to help you with this
Visitor (15:40:10 AEST) : Thanks
Nancy A (15:40:21 AEST) : I will need to verify your details before I go ahead
Visitor (15:40:47 AEST) : I'm not a customer. I just want to ask a general question about your billing fees
Nancy A (15:42:03 AEST) : The $2.20 will be charged only if you opt paper bill
Nancy A (15:42:20 AEST) : For direct debit there will be no charges 
Visitor (15:42:46 AEST) : Understood I want to ask about non direct debit options and statements on the Optus website
Nancy A (15:43:40 AEST) : I will help  you with service team number to check on  these details,
You can contact on 133937
Visitor (15:44:34 AEST) : Nancy you seem to be being deliberately obtuse. The phone wait time is over an hour. Can you please just transfer me to someone who can answer my question?
Nancy A (15:45:37 AEST) : I will help you with the link to check on the bill query
Nancy A (15:45:51 AEST) : Click here to view billing options
Nancy A (15:46:39 AEST) : In the link you can find all the details.
Visitor (15:46:49 AEST) : I already have the link. I want to ask a question about the information the link shows. You haven't even asked my what my question is. How hard is it to just get transfered to someone who can answer a simple question about non direct debit options?

Nancy A (15:49:01 AEST) : Alright.

Please stay online while I connect you to our service team .
Info (15:49:51 AEST) : Nancy A has transferred this interaction.
Info (15:49:59 AEST) : The interaction has been transferred to Aris
Visitor (15:50:16 AEST) : Hi Aris
Aris (15:50:22 AEST) : Hi, Please allow me 2-3 minutes here to read the prev. conversation you had  with the last representative
Visitor (15:50:43 AEST) : That was a somewhat bizarre exchange.
Aris (15:51:22 AEST) : So to confirm that you dont have an Optus service at the moment
Aris (15:51:33 AEST) : and you are enquiring about direct Debit
Visitor (15:51:40 AEST) : Yep
Visitor (15:52:17 AEST) : I'd like to clarify the Optus Website that states:
Visitor (15:52:19 AEST) : If you choose not to pay your account by direct debit, a $2.20 processing fee is charged to your monthly bill(s). This fee can be avoided if paying with direct debit or via credit, debit, charge or prepaid cards
Aris (15:52:29 AEST) : Why are you billing for Non Direct Debit Fee? 
Optus incurs a transaction fee from payment system processing vendors across all payment methods but is less when processing a Direct Debit payment. This cost is applied across the exchange of information from your financial institution to the payment vendor and then Optus and is not part of how we priced your Rate Plan.
Aris (15:52:48 AEST) : To avoid this one, we will need to set up a direct debit on your account
Visitor (15:53:08 AEST) : I actually just have a simple question. Still haven't been able to ask it
Aris (15:54:30 AEST) : Why are you billing for Non Direct Debit Fee? 
Optus incurs a transaction fee from payment system processing vendors across all payment methods but is less when processing a Direct Debit payment. This cost is applied across the exchange of information from your financial institution to the payment vendor and then Optus and is not part of how we priced your Rate Plan.
Aris (15:54:32 AEST) : To avoid this one, we will need to set up a direct debit on your account
Visitor (15:55:26 AEST) : You just reposted the same information twice? Are you reading my responses? I wish to ask a simple question about direct debit based on the information on the Optus website. Can I ask it?
Aris (15:56:12 AEST) : Yes if you dont set up Direct Debit Fee on your account. a $2.20 Non-Direct Debit Fee will be applied Monthly
Visitor (15:56:43 AEST) : Can . I . Ask . My . Question ?
Aris (15:57:09 AEST) : Yes you can
Visitor (15:57:51 AEST) : Thanks. I'll repost the Optus Main Page dedicated to explaining direct debit fees:
Visitor (15:58:01 AEST) : If you choose not to pay your account by direct debit, a $2.20 processing fee is charged to your monthly bill(s). This fee can be avoided if paying with direct debit or via credit, debit, charge or prepaid cards
Visitor (15:58:26 AEST) : I would specifically draw your attention to the last part of the publish information
Visitor (15:58:44 AEST) : This fee can be avoided if paying with direct debit OR via credit, debit, charge or prepaid cards
Aris (15:59:36 AEST) : Yes it can be voided once we set up Direct Debit on your account using; Credit Card,Debit Card or Bank account
Visitor (16:00:58 AEST) : ok. So is the word OR incorrect here then. Should the page read:
Visitor (16:01:06 AEST) : This fee can be avoided if paying with direct debit via credit, debit, charge or prepaid cards
Visitor (16:01:52 AEST) : Or are you saying you can set up a direct debit and then pay with no charge using credit cards directly with no transaction fee?
Aris (16:02:46 AEST) : Yes, once Direct Debit has been set up on your account, bills will be auto debited without transaction fee
Visitor (16:03:55 AEST) : Understood that is how direct debit works. But are you saying paying by credit card directly (after a direct debit has been set up as well) will incur no transaction fees?
Aris (16:04:31 AEST) : Yes that is correct.
Visitor (16:05:43 AEST) : Thank you. I would suggest that the current Optus web information is very badly phrased. The OR should be removed as it currently suggests direct debit OR credit/debit cards will have no transaction fee. Something to feed back?
Aris (16:07:15 AEST) : Just to clarify that direct debit with credit card details are the one who has no transaction fee
Aris (16:07:56 AEST) : And if you just pay via credit card a non direct debit fee will still be applied
Visitor (16:08:58 AEST) : That does contradict what you just said. So the website is making the wrong statement? There should be no "OR"?
Auto-Generated Message (16:11:01 AEST) : Sorry to keep you waiting, I'll be right back with you.
Aris (16:11:23 AEST) : Ok the only payment method that has no non direct debit fee is a Direct debit payment
Visitor (16:13:12 AEST) : I agree. The Optus Website currently says differently. Pretty misleading or at best confusing. Suggest optus correct it.
Visitor (16:13:13 AEST) : https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/late-payment-other-billing-fees?requestType=NormalReque...
Aris (16:13:29 AEST) : I understand
Aris (16:13:37 AEST) : No worries I will send this feedback 
Aris (16:13:43 AEST) : to have it checked
Visitor (16:13:55 AEST) : Thanks. Bye
Aris (16:14:41 AEST) : You are most welcome, Aside from this one Is there anything else you would like me to check for ?
Visitor (16:14:57 AEST) : Nope. Have a good day.
Aris (16:15:17 AEST) : Have a good one and always smile 

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Direct Debit Fee page needs correction. (And tortuous LiveChat session)

I  have to agree with you @petergdownload.

It’s definitely an issue with how that's been phrased, it’s not intentionally misleading.

I actually work closely with the writers who work on our help and support page.

You’ll see a change to the copy in a jiffy 🙂 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

So, we've removed that line.

Late payment & other billing fees

Now, we're actually confirming whether the credit card processing fee still applies if we're debiting from credit card.

I feel as though that's something that'd changed. Better to be safe than sorry. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I can confirm that the credit card processing payment fee still applies (whether you chose to pay via direct debit or manual payment).

0 Kudos
Top Contributors