Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Deleting a message without it opening?

How can I delete an incoming message from my optusnet account, without it opening?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Deleting a message without it opening?

Text message, email message what are you receiving it on?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

My desktop
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I am still trying to figure out what type of message this is that would come from your Optus account and land on your desktop of your pc. Perhaps you could explain further as the only thing that comes to mind is an email message. Deleting emails without opening them is simple enough however I would need to know what pc and mail program you are using if it is in fact an email

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sorry Yeldarb, I am new to this...I havent explained properly. I receive a lot of unwanted emails on my desktop. When I click delete, the message opens with unsavoury messages. I just need to delete them without opening them. I am using a hp desktop and using optusnet email. I really appreciate your time on this matter, thank you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I understand but need to know the email program and computer operating system. If it's a Windows 10 computer and its using Outlook email for example?

Typically deleting an email without opening it on a Windows machine can be done by right mouse clicking the email to bring up the additional menu then left mouse clicking delete. It varies with the email program and the operating system as Apple Mac don't have the right mouse function.

You also should be able to highlight the email in question with one mouse click then go to your top menu and find delete. If you have the preview window on this will unfortunately show the email. You may need to turn preview off as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Its Windows 10. Windows Live Mail. If I right click on the email the message still opens. When I highlight ? (is this just clicking on it? Not sure...) the email it opens. Sorry, this must be frustrating for you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Try just highlighting then hit delete on your keyboard or holding the shift key and hitting delete.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No, when I highlight and hit delete at the same time, the message still shows up. I will try holding the shift key and hitting delete when I get a new message. I am not getting many new messages today. I went into File to Safety Options and clicked on High for them to go in junk folder, and another selection of 'Flagging and dont show message', so that should help. Thank you for your help Yeldarb. Bye now.
0 Kudos