Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Credit Check

Hi there.
So I have been trying to apply for a phone plan.
I have never had a credit card, taken out a loan, or undertaken a plan, yet my credit has been declined. 
I hold a job, make an income of approximately $500 a week, and am a fulltime student.
I don't want a generic response about the privacy etc.
Is there anyway to overcome this as the deal that I would like to enter into a contract with goes in less than the 30 days or whatever to reapply. 
On 'Get Credit Score PTY Ltd' my credit score has come up as 'good'. 
How does one get a credit history if no one will allow them to get a basic credit history?
Again, I don't want the generic response. 

5 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Check

So, there can be lots of reasons and Optus will never tell you directly.

I am happy to make a few guesses for you though.

You're young, not working full time, you have no credit history (this works against you), and you probably want the new iPhone 7 or Galaxy S8 on the $130 plan. In short, you're high risk of not paying your bills on time, if at all.

The best thing you can do is ask for a SIM only 12 month plan then try upgrading after you've shown Optus you can pay a few bills on time. Wait at least 3 months before trying again.

Does this suck?

Yes.

Can you do anything about it?

Yes, and it takes time.

Also, you're better to get your credit file from Equifax and Dun & Bradstreet as they are the main credit reporting agencies in Australia, and the two Optus use to check your credit histroy. It is FREE to get a copy of your credit history, don't pay for it! 🙂

'Check My Credit Score Pty Ltd' is actually Equifax. It's great you checked this, however it doesn't tell you anything useful. The website is just designed to sell you other products so Equifax get paid a commission.

I hope some of this is helpful for you.

-------------------

Loyal Optus customer. My opinions are my own.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Get a credit card, and use it to buy $1 things from Hong Kong.

Whatever you do, don't use it seriously, and put $2000 debt on it, because the interest rates are always hideous.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

"use it to buy $1 things from Hong Kong."

Or use it to buy me things from my Amazon wish list 😛

-------------------

Loyal Optus customer. My opinions are my own.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I feel for you, I also got credit check fail, I earn over $2,800 per week, have been paying a mortgage for 14 years, never defaulted on credit. I got my credit history and then called Equifax and they confirmed I don't have any defaults and told me they cannot see a reason I would not get credit as there are no negatives in my credit history. I only applied for $59 per month plan... I am not sure what Optus credit history check is about, it seems there are errors being made but unfortunately they don't give you the opportunity to resolve the issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You got a common name like Steve Smith? Even your birthday doesn't separate you from the other 92.

0 Kudos