cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
FranDRoss2015
New Contributor
New Contributor

Charged for a service that I didn't ask.

Hi,

Today I had been charged with 6.65$ on my extra credit amount by AirG.

I didn't know about them and, of course,I didn't asked them to join me on their system. I wonder to know if there is a way to take the money back our at least be able to prevent this kind of use of my extra credit, credit that I need to call to my family in Barcelona. 

Thank you very much.

Fran.

Tags (2)
13 Replies
Danman1981
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Charged for a service that I didn't ask.

I got this at 12:01am on 5 July... I think it's a scam. But will be calling Optus in the morning when I wake up. 

0 Kudos
Gen_R
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @FranDRoss2015 - this sounds like Premium SMS charges that you've incurred. Please sent back STOP to the SMS you've received. Please chat with our Care guys here and we'll block it form happening again. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Danman1981
New Contributor
New Contributor

How does it happen though, I haven't given my number to any website or app remotely related to AirG? Please advise.
0 Kudos
Gen_R
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

The way it works, generally speaking is that you're browsing on Facebook, or website, you click an ad banner, an add / page pops up and advising you that by clicking on it you can get their subscription for X amount a week and that you'll be billed through your Optus account. Only way is to force close your app, or click the X located on the top right or left hand corner. To avoid being billed, you have to ensure your Premium Content is set to $0. This can be done here

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Danman1981
New Contributor
New Contributor

I havent had any popups like that and if I do , I dont click to accept, I am not a simpleton.

But I will get rid of my premium services as I don't use them.

Also, why is it preset to $200 - shouldnt it be setup as $0 then the user can make those changes as required? Not cool.

0 Kudos
Gen_R
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Totally get what you're saying, it's automatically allowed cause there are lots of other premium content that people do like to use, like voting or direct carrier billing. 

0 Kudos
cthing
New Contributor
New Contributor

I too have copped a small charge for airg.

$1.99.

I rang optus they were helpful.

I was given a number 1800

An automated service asked me for my mobile number.

I was directed to airG.

The person I spoke to sounded like she was reading from a script.

I asked for a supervisor.

She tried very hard to resist.

However I was able to speak to a so called supervisor.

After a long heated discussion I was stonewalled with the same comments.

I advised them I would take it further.

I rang optus again and ensured my premium services were indeed blocked.

And advised them that I flatly refuse to pay the fees incurred as I felt they had not protected myself as a customer from unauthorised third party transactions.

Optus waived the unauthorised sms.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones who picked it up immediately.

Acted immediately.

Please contact optus and have sms premium services blocked. If you don't use them.

In my opinion, airG are a bunch of scammers.

0 Kudos
jp5785
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi,
Just reading through the comments and I've had a similar experience though had received 6 SMS messages from the number 19789099 and unfortunately did not read them carefully enough thinking it was just a stupid promo message. I tried opting out the other day and said I would be charged extra for sending the message. 
I've gone to an Optus store today and was told I would be told there's about 30 odd dollars of charges to my account from this AirG thing. While I've since called AirG and confirmed my account is cancelled I could not get confirmation from AirG or Optus that the charges would be waived. I will not be paying it regardless though want to know the best way to go about getting these charges removed from my next bill. 

Optus should prevent this from happening to others as we are being charged for something we did not approve at all.

jp

0 Kudos
JustinB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Hey @jp5785 - I can definitely check into this. If you can send me a private message with your full name, mobile number + DOB, I'll follow this up for you 🙂

0 Kudos