cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

KL76
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Bank Statements

I have been with Optus for 6 months. Always paid on time, early and in credit. I have recently tried to purchase a Apple Watch and have been asked for 3 months bank statements. Has anyone else had this issue with Optus as I feel this is not ok as the repayment will be $22 a month??
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
George_YC

Re: Bank Statements

Hey @KL76, when applying for a service, we have to conduct a credit check under your name. At times, we may require additional information to ensure you meet Optus credit criteria. 

I'd suggest looking at your credit file to ensure there isn't anything on there that could be resulting in bad credit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
KL76
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello, yes I have checked both credit reports. Equifax and Illion. The problem isn’t with the credit report it is with the amount of credit I have. It is not legally allowed to ask for bank statements on anything under $45 a month or for existing customers. This is under the industries change of code.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You want a loan.
If you want to buy an Apple Watch without hoops then just buy it.
If you want someone to extend you credit then you jump through whatever hoops they want you to jump through.

0 Kudos
KL76
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It’s ok, have taken the matter further to the TIO. Maybe Optus needs to go and check out the Industries Code of Practice… and a loan for a car or house, is a lot more worthy of bank statements than a watch for a existing customer with a good payment history. But good service once again from Optus…
0 Kudos
KL76
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

You Telco companies need to pull your heads in and stop ripping customers off and ruining there credit files by not doing your jobs properly…
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yeah. Yeah. The TIO.

FWIW they are mostly interested in when you don't get what you signed up for. Any company can refuse to deal with any person. You can't force Optus to sell you something.

Three months of banks statements takes me 30 seconds to download. If you don't want to provide them then I sure as heck wouldn't want to extend you $10 of credit.
0 Kudos
KL76
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well with staff members like you I don’t want to give Optus another cent.

My credit file is fine, the issue is the credit limit. For a customer who has paid early and been in credit from the day they signed up with Optus bank statements are not required and as I stated I AM AN EXISTING CUSTOMER ASKING FOR A PRODUCT UNDER $45 a month. Bank statements are not a requirement by law. But good chat mate, you obviously don’t know your job to well…
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I don't have a job with Optus. This is a public forum.

I AM AN EXISTING CUSTOMER ASKING FOR...

Revisit that statement in ALL CAPS. When was the last time you decided that the best way to ask for something was to DEMAND IT? No, bank statements are not required by law just required by Optus.

As mentioned. If you want "credit" then the onus is on you. You're not "giving" Optus any cents, just asking them to give you cents.
0 Kudos
KL76
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Not demanding anything from Optus. Simply trying to understand what the issue is seems I am getting told 3 different reasons as to why it is declined.

And it isn’t a requirement by Optus and it is not allowed if the order is under $45 a month. That is my point.

And I am giving them CENTS as I am paying for my mobile service lol. But once again, good chat lol.
0 Kudos