Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

$10 excess data charges

I trust Optus will be waivering all excess data charges whilst the data usage is not available?

data-usage-down.jpg

0 Kudos
9 Replies
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: $10 excess data charges

Odd, both the app and website work fine for me.
From a legal standpoint, pretty sure usage has to be updated ~72 hours per acma.

Surely you had been migrated to the new billing system by now e.g account starts with a 62.

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

MBB users such as myself have no other way to monitor data usage.

Edit: .. and yes I am on the new billing system.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus don't have to supply data usage portals. That's optional and if they break down its just bad luck.

But the do have to legally provide a usage notification when you got 50% 90% and 100% of your usage (with in 48 hours though)

Mobile broad band customers should recieve this via SMS or email. It's not optional and if you haven't got this notification then you should get a quick refund on request.

Note a manual portal doesn't replace the responsibility of Optus to provide automatic notifications. If you have never got them then you should get any and all usage charges refunded on request

The ACCC is serious on this matter

https://www.arnnet.com.au/article/669105/sms-notification-setting-lands-telstra-hot-water/
0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes I have seen that ACCC matter with Telstra. Unfortunately without data usage it's impossible to use all your data without being penalized.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So do you get the SMS /email warnings now?

The sad fact is that with a built in 48 hour delay (at random times) then I would never use more than 3/4 of my data allowance for fear that some had yet to be reported. And that's if everything works as promised.

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No I don't get alert emails and even if I did they would not help. The data usage is extremely slow to update and with the unreliable Optus account portal I never know how much data I have left. Yes I can do as you do and stop 3/4 of the way however 50GB is a hell of lot of data to be leaving.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You misunderstand. I don't have mobile broadband. I'm just wondering if Optus send the alerts (reliable or otherwise) If they don't then you're not liable for any excess data usage fees and should be refunded any if you ever paid one.

I'm not sure how Optus are getting away with that given Telstra were heavily warned in that article for doing the same thing.
0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Usage alerts do go out via sms and email.

sms read like this:

137.57GB of 261.50GB of the shared data allowance has been used. At 261.50GB you will get an extra 1.00GB for $10. Usage resets on 16/01. More info on usage at optus.com.au/alerts

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No I don't get alerts only the one about the added $10 / 1 GB of extra data.

0 Kudos