Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
blaME
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: unknown charge

Follow the money trail and understand why the telco Carriers facilitate these junk 3rd party content providerrs and make it easy for them to sign people up.

0 Kudos
JustinB
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Hey @blaME - sorry to hear if you're getting charged for these. These are subscription services where you do need to opt in to receive them. We do have an option in My Account to set your spend limit to $0.00 which will prevent you from being able to receive these in the future. Instructions on how to do this can be found here

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
blaME
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

We think 1 issue has been resolved. Thats subject to refund cheque clearing.  Refund cheque from yet another entity than that shown on Bill.  We suspect yet another 'Agent' involved in settling claims, not the scummy provider nor the scummy NetSize , being the pimp for content providers.

The unresolved issues are;

The integrityu of these premium SMS and content providers.

The manner in which this account was signed up without any authorisation,

The fact Carriers such as Optus have accounts capable of subscription as default setting, ie. customer need to request block of such junk or as you suggest applying a limit to monthly spend on this crap.  In any case, customer needs to request 'stop' to the pimp, setting a $0 limit once subscribed to a weekly 'service' doesn't stop the bill for that trash still comming in.

The fact that aftyer considerable effort and angst to recover stolen money [it is fraud] said refund makes TIO complain 'go away', meaning there isn't an issue recorded and no need to change system to avoid customer ripoffs.  Get it?  No claim due to refund, no incidence statistics to act on.  SLEEZY CON ARTISTS THESE PROVIDERS.  Thy have been found to use malware to sign people up.

The fact we now need to make formal complaint to ACCC so they can act on this scummy stupid industry.

I encourage all who have been scammed by this stuff to persist in refund claims [that frankly the Carriers should be resolving] and formal complaints made to the ACCC.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
francie
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: extra charges

So I get my bill and scan through it - it seems a bit higher than normal.  Then I get to the bottom of the bill and find 2 Content Services not included in current plan benefit.  $10.90 for two charges I have no idea how they got there.  They are from Waala Mobivillage.  What is  this?  Then I go online and realise it is a scam and we are being charged.  Guess it is time to pull the axe from Optus for allowing such stupid charges to go through without my knowledge or consent.  I have Fetch tv, two mobile phone plans (for adults) and unlimited NBN.  The bill is big enough.  What a load of rubbish.  

0 Kudos
Thane
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi francie, 

Sorry hear you feel this way, and about receiving these charges.

There is an option in My Account to set your spend limit to $0.00 so these services cannot charge.

They are not set to zero by default as it would limit ability to enter competitions and vote on reality TV shows.

More info about these services can be found here → https://community.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Purchasing-Third-Party-Content-with-Optus/ba-p/151220.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
CautionAhead
Contributor
Contributor

Wouldn't $0 be considered an 'actual' safeguard. Absolutely ridiculous the customer has to prevent this from occuring rather than it being defaulted to OFF

0 Kudos
PhilC
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @CautionAhead I can understand where you're coming from however as there is a large number of customers that do choose to use these premium services - be it buying content, entering competitions or voting on their favourite shows just to name a few - the limit is not set at $0 as a default. You can adjust this yourself at any time or touch base with us and we can assist in setting the limit at $0 for you. If you do need a hand with any of your Optus services please don't hesitate to let us know and we'd be more than happy to assist. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
CautionAhead
Contributor
Contributor

I'm on my 4th consecutive plan and this has NEVER occured. So as you can understand I'm fairly annoyed I have copped an extra charge to my bill due to your company supplicating the masses. I just want the charge refunded, simple. It was unauthorised and enabled through an arbitrary hole in your service. So please apply the appropriate credit to my account.

0 Kudos
Casey_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hey @CautionAhead, all information about PSMS including how to manage your spend and raise a dispute can be found here. If you would like us to raise this for you, please send us a PM with your mobile number, full name and DOB. 

0 Kudos
CautionAhead
Contributor
Contributor

The slider function no longer exists in zoo, may be time to update obsolete information...or maybe just remove such a stupid feature and let people opt in to cop extra charges on request. I'd rather run the complaint through the TIO, they've never let me down. 

0 Kudos