cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: unauthorised third party charges

Yes it did activate a 15 dollar fee I couldn’t see it but when I talked to an Optus worker they told me it was activated he said that there was a premium service that was activated for $15  and that he had canceled it... they are calling this scam premium services where you don’t have to agree to anything it just activates which is illegal.. I would contact a Optus advisor and tell them to fix this problem if you have ran into the same issue. I can’t believe that just scrolling through Facebook added a 15 dollar fee looks like this isn’t just a Optus scam but a Telstra one too 

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its a well known scam that's being going on for over a decade. It affects all the Telcos but their complicity in keeping the scam running has been shameful. Premium SMS "services" might have had some legitimacy ten years ago but I'd wager not 1 in 100 "requests" for a premium service these days is legitimate.

Optus and Telstra did finally put an end to the scam a few months ago by no longer allowing the scammers to add the service to your Telco bill. Now the scammers have to get your seperate billing details (from you) to be able to start billing you. 

I'd suspect you might have got an over zealous customer service person. Its likely Optus systems are still recieving requests for payments from the scammers but its unlikely it would have appeared on your bill.

Anyway, problem sorted. I assume you set your Premium SMS limit to $0 with Optus? Not really necessary now days but just an extra bit of insurance.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

This has just happened to me!

From what I’ve read I can’t decided if the text is just a scare tactic or if I’m actually going to be charged!

Could someone please help me fix this issue?

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @SarahRule

Just send STOP back to the number (shouldn't need to but wouldn't hurt)

Then wait till your next bill gets posted and see. If there's a charge then its easy enough to sort out then.

Also when you're next in touch with Optus (or in My Account) set your PREMIUM SMS LIMIT to $0

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Why isn't your PREMIUM SMS LIMIT automatically $0? Seems like a loophole that would be easy to close and stop this from ocurring. Does Optus receive money from these charges that go unnoticed? Although they're refunding the charges, it doesn't make it right and it shouldn't be happening in the first place. A lot of wasted time and energy - and it leaves a very nasty aftertaste to a loyal customer. 

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I completely get your point @Rho.

Customers do take advantage of direct carrier billing i.e. App purchases from the Google Play Store. How much you can purchase through the app store is determined by your Premium Content Spend Limit.

In game micro purchases is another good example.

I should also add that if anyone would like a moderator to help out, we'll gladly run through the charges with you.

Follow the URL I've linked below:

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I completely agree @Rho. Optus do make money from these transactions. The amount of scam transactions vastly out weights the small number of legitimate it's of this service. 

Optus current policy is the same as if you joined a library and found out that 'by the way of any one asks us we'll give them $200 a month'

It's a deplorable situation that other telcos are already paying back the millions scammed from their customers. Optus could result set the exposure to $0 and customers could opt in to bring scammed.

Until then though, only protective customers willing to jump through hoops might get their money back.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Sad to read this as Telstra has stopped in December and Optus promised to do so in January. I suggest an on-line complaint to the TIO if you do not get reimbursed. Hopefully your post will lead to some action.

What is very interesting is that Telstra has now contacted scammed clients and offered refunds. Perhaps the threat of a class action via Slater&Gordon or Maurice Blackburn may have caused a bit of a reaction.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@domwild

Currently Telstra has only contacted those customers that have already made an official TIO complaint or official Telstra complaint . While a large number (apparently complaints on this 'service' got to 30,000 a month at its peak) it still leaves the large majority of victims that didn't notice or didn't bother to complain for the amounts or effort involved.

A class action could be interesting as it might see the tables turned and instead of customers needing to jump through hoops to get their money back, the Telco would instead be required to provide proof of an informed double opt in for each premium 'service' provided (as the industry guidelines require). Failing that test, each affected customer should be contacted and asked if they did in fact knowingly order the service and if not do they want the money refunded.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I was scrolling through Facebook tonight and open an article to read. As soon as I go to the end I received a text message that everyone else got. Contacted live chat to put $0 on premium SMS and asked the consultant to dispute the $15.00 charge. They said that they can't do anything about the charge but said I won't be charged again. I mentioned this thread and suggestions however that didn't seem to help my case. Just seemed like the consultant couldn't be bothered dealing with the issue. I continued requesting for them to dispute the charge and they ended the chat...not happy with the service from that particular person at all. Looked at my Optus app and low and behold there's a $15 charge with a 25c additional charge. Optus this needs to be rectified immediately. It's illegal for third parties to charge without consent. Wouldn't this premium SMS option be on $0 to begin with and let the consumer decide if they want that service? Out of all my time using smart phones I've never, ever received this BS. Absolute joke!