Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

unauthorised third party charges

KlemzigPaul

Hello, i received this message yesterday “FreeMsg: Smartmag costs $15.00 for 1000 mobile content items. HELP:1800793904 aulp.smartmag.mobi/302-2/lpmf.ashx” from this number +1 (978) 999-9. i was on facebook reading an article when i received this. I replied STOP straight away, but today have noticed $15.50 has been added to my post paid account. I thought Optus had stopped this from happening as Telstra has. Is this the case or am I stuck with paying it?

Re: unauthorised third party charges

petergdownload

Optus have stopped paypass on charges so your free is unusual. Be interested what they have to say. You should be able to get the money refunded easily enough with a call or live chat. Also get your premium SMS limit set to $0 by Optus.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

NinaB7

I’ve just had the same thing happen. I tried visiting the website listed but it doesn’t seem to exist.

Solution

Dan_C

Hey @NinaB7, thanks for reaching out.

I've copied a response I'd posted from a similar thread. Hopefully it's of some use to you. 

Changes have been made in response to customer feedback. I'd suggest checking out the following threads. 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Optus-Postpaid-and/...

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Home-Wireless/ba-p/...

For the moment, we'd suggest jumping onto live chat → www.optus.com.au/livechat/pmobiYou'd need to ask the consultant to action the following for you.

• Ask that they set your Premium SMS spend limit to $0.00. This prevents any third party provider from charging your Optus account.
  • Ask that they raise a dispute with MIA Sphere Live. We're looking at a contact time-frame of 2-3 working days. Once the refund has been approved, it'll be credited back into your Optus account by the time your next invoice is due to come through.
  • We suggest paying the difference between your regular charge and premium content service charge. You will not be penalised whilst a dispute is in progress. 

If you need us to follow up on your refund, message us back here and we'll gladly help out. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Kylie_0011

Same thing has happened to me... talking on Live Chat right now

Optus are disputing the charge on my behalf and organising a refund

I also had the operator set my Premium SMS spend limit to $0.00. This prevents any third party provider from charging your Optus account. (thank you for the tip from DanC)

petergdownload

So what's the story Optus? It's been weeks since Optus said no more charges would be passed on. These appear to be new subscriptions. What department or computer system is still accepting payment requests from mia sphere live or others? Should someone switch them off?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS The premium scan posts here have dropped a lot. Obviously most are now being blocked but it's strange a few seem to be still getting through.

Dan_C

I am an Optus mobile customer with an existing Third Party Content subscription being charged to my bill or deducted out of my Prepaid credit. Will I be impacted by this change?

No, if your existing subscription was set up prior to 31 January 2018, it will continue to be charged to your Optus bill or deducted out of your Prepaid credit. There is no change to such existing subscriptions charged by Optus on behalf of the Third Party Content Providers.

The above has been the case for new enquiries that I've directly handled. Most of these customers have been charged for several months, before they'd actually reached out. 

If I do come across an example, I'll make sure to investigate further Smiley Happy 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Shantelle23

This just happened to me also! FreeMsg: Smartmag costs $15.00 for 1000 mobile content items. HELP:1800793904 aulp.smartmag.mobi/302-2/lpmf.ashx

Tried to search it and find out more but I can’t 😫 waiting on online chat to see what I can do. 

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Hi,

Send STOP to the number.

Then wait to see your next Optus bill. Optus no longer accept these charges so what you're seeing on your phone is just SPAM.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS Also ask Optus to set your  Premium SMS limit to $0 as a sure fire way to shut down this scam (you might still get SMSs but they're meaningless)

HarHarHaunter

I just got this Smartmag bs too. Tried jumping on chat, but it wouldn’t seem to load 😔

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
74 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
50 Kudos