Searching...

Mobile

Re: unauthorised third party charges

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

@domwild

That is concerning. Hopefully the wording will be to prioritise major complaints. Scams like the Premium SMS scam are now constructed to be minor by definition. Usually they go unnoticed or are too difficult to fight for such a small amount. Till now I've been doing a major heist only every few years but I wonder if I started robbing my bank once a day for sums less than $150 they might concider that too minor to do anything about Smiley Indifferent

FWIW The ACCC seems to work that way though. They don't generally take individual cases but monitor patterns of abuse and then act when a threshold is reached. I'm not sure how this would work in the TIOs case given they are usually called on to adjudicate specific and unique issues. They can't just say Premium SMS is a problem and direct the industry to refund all monies to everyone affected.

Guess we'll see.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

bakapoko

Hi Kartika,

I haven't received any info regarding this. I've sent a PM as requested, provided my info, but haven't received any updates. 

Could you please find out what the latest update is

Thanks

domwild

The ACCC, ACMA, ACORN, AFP, etc. all keep scam statistics and have never prosecuted a scammer or telco. A waste of taxes. TIO gets your money back, but also does not prosecute. My local federal MP Hastie got me an apology from Telstra. 

domwild

It is legal not to pay a disputed charge, but record evidence of your calls/emails.

Amazon charged me $15.40 for Prime membership, just got that back. They are facing a class Action in the US. Same scam.

bakapoko

Big thanks to @Kartika  and team for getting my refund. A big thumbs down 👎to the scummy scam artists for putting me and many others in this position. 

@Optus you need to get your poopoo together and protect your customers better. Scams should not be able to access our information so freely. I'm sure something can be implemented to protect your customers information. Telstra has stopped it, why can't you? 

CJags

Hello, 

I've disputed the third party charge I received on my July bill twice via phone and chat. I was advised the amount would be refunded the 2nd time I made contact however have not heard back in 2 weeks. Do you knoe if somone can follow this up for me?

Many thanks

Caroline

domwild

Hi Caroline,

On this forum, Telstra forum and forum Whirlpool I keep advising telco clients to make an on-line complaint to the TIO (Telecom. Industry Ombudsman), as telcos suggest to contact the scammer (useless) and even contacting the telco direct is useless as you noticed. Ring Optus once again for the last time and chant the three magic letters "TIO" and give them a time to see the refund in your account or else. Each complaint costs the telco $30 and Telstra is now refunding all the scammed people, but only the ones, who contacted Telstra. Assert yourself, this scamming has been going on now for ten (10) years!!

Shauna

Hey @CJags - we can chase this up for you. Can you please send me a private message confirming your account number, full name and DOB? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
73 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos