Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted

taking optus SIM and putting in a phone plan

aljaro

Hi Team,

I've already got a $40 My Plan Plus 12M SIM but am looking to grab a new phone (in a plan).
Is there a way I can keep this SIM plan and just add a phone to it? 
When I look at the phone plans this $40 option doesn't exist anymore and to get the same amount of data (15GB) I have to move to a $65 plan by the looks. Doesn't make sense. 

I also have an Optus Broadband plan so was expecting I'd be able to get a better deal 

Re: taking optus SIM and putting in a phone plan

petergdownload

No you can't mix and match like that. Whatever plans are around when you wnat to deal is the go. One big bonus though is that the data in your current and new plans will be combined and shared to both devices. 

Not sure how cheap a plan you expect. A $40 SIM only plan is just that (Sim Only). If you want to get a phone in the plan then you have to pay off the phone as well (which is why phone + SIM plans are much more expensive). 

What phone do you want? If the phone matches then I'd suspect you're a candidate for the following deal by Optus. 

Alternatively get a another (better) SIM only deal and just buy your phone outright (personally I go a generation back second hand on ebay for best value and performance) - just don't go lease.

Peter Gillespie

aljaro

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that a plan will be more expensive as you have to pay back the phone. 

It's just that when I look at the phones with plans the plans are way less economical.
My current plan is 15GB for $40. With a phone that changes to 4GB for $45 as per below.
So it want's me pay $5 more for 1/4 of the data

optus.JPG

petergdownload

Yep. As a general rule SIM only plans offer much better bang for buck. This has changed a big recently with phone plans being given access to 100Gb-200Gb of monthly data while SIM only maxes out around 50Gb I believe. Phone plans tend to penalise low data users at Optus with the headline rates usually only getting you 1Gb and obviously needing to be upsold to something useful.

As for the specific deal you're looking at the rates fluctuate a lot.  Just recently Optus had a $60 offer for 30Gb with a $1250 phone included. Pretty good deal IMO. If you're happy to wait you should see something come around again over the next few months as Optus fairly regularly bumps up a solid bonus data offer for the same price. 

What phone do you want? How much memory? Here Optus is probably subsidising it unless it costs less than $660? Maybe bump to the $65 plan for 20Gb? Or take the 4Gb plan and add it to your 16Gb for 10Gb each - do you need more than that?

Peter Gillespie

aljaro

Thanks again Peter.

I'm looking at the Galaxy s9+. Guess I will have to just go with the $85 plan ($65 plan + $20 phone) unless I wait a while.
Will see if prices change after the Samsung s10 announcement this week. 

The deal you mentioned doesn't sound pretty ace.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

A massively understated slap down, but I'm going with auto complete turning a + into a - here Smiley Happy

If you're willing to swap the s9+ for a Note 9 then Optus have that for $1 less and you get 100Gb

See here

A quick google suggests they're essentially the same phone with the Note having a much bigger battery.

Peter Gillespie

aljaro

Woah woah woah. A definite accidental auto-correct. No shade being cast here haha. 
Struggling to get the Optus site and your deal links to work so might just go in store.
Thanks for your help and the heads up on the Note 9 also. Will check it out

petergdownload

All good Smiley Happy

The here link works for me (perhaps try it in a different browser?) - just make suer you don't accidently sign up for a lease (which is selected by default now). 

But otherwise in store or even live chat should be an option. The offer ends end of next month but I suspect it will be gone much sooner as its based on "while stocks last"

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
154 Kudos
125 Kudos
96 Kudos
95 Kudos
75 Kudos