Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Krizzi
New Contributor
New Contributor

swapping from postpaid to prepaid

I am thinking of swapping over to prepaid with Optus as I hardly use data allowance on my postpaid account.

Also have been gifted a new phone

So I am wanting to know if i can keep my existing phone number AND whether I can transfer all my contacts and memos and notes etc onto the new phone with the new prepaid plan?

Krizzi

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Tina_YC

Re: swapping from postpaid to prepaid

Hey @Krizzi, thanks for getting in touch with us. You can definitely keep your existing phone number 🙂 In regards to your contacts, memos and notes, you might be able to save these on your sim but it depends on what kind of phone you currently have. 

For example, iPhone doesn't store contacts on the SIM card. If you want to transfer contacts between iPhones, you can use iCloud to back up or transfer content between devices. 

If you need further assistance, We recommend messaging us via our Messenger site.  Our Messaging team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Tina_YC

In this article we’ll show you how to change between a Prepaid and Postpaid Mobile Phone service. Tina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Your contacts memos notes should all be stored in Apple or Google. One of the big advantages of that is you just login to a new phone and everything is automatically loaded in.

FWIW a 6 or 12 month prepaid plan is much better value these days than a post paid. Most particularly if you have your own phone and don't need to use heaps of data.

You can transfer you number to any new plan easily. This could be with Optus or any offer (Boost, Aldi, etc.) so check out some of their 6 or 12 month prepaid options. You just type in your existing number as part of the sign up process and its automatically ported.

One warning though. Just make sure the prepaid plan you select does allow for porting in an existing number. Most do but some don't Optus for example won't let you port an Optus number to a new prepaid plan in many cases. There are work arounds but there's also plenty of plans out there that let you port and keep your number.

Krizzi
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you all who replied to my query. I managed to successfully swap my plan from postpaid to prepaid without hiccups. I have kept the same phone number and Optus email as those were my two greatest concerns. 

Great having such a committed group of tech aficionados to help with these daily tech matters and decisions.

Krizzi

Tina_YC

Hey @Krizzi, thanks for getting back to us with an update. We're glad you were able to switch from postpaid to prepaid without any trouble 🙂 Tina.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Good to hear. Just a suggestion that you should start migrating your Optus email to a non RSP based one like gmail. You can operate both at the same time and slowly confirm the Optus gets less and less and the Gmail more and more

You should do this because of you ever leave Optus then you will lose the email almost immediately. Also Telstra are already shutting down their email services and it's quite possible Optus will decide to get out too.
0 Kudos