Searching...

Mobile

second service discount

rvkmhn2

I recently upgraded my mobile plan and during the chat was offered the following promotion

"Optus has something for everyone-new as well as loyal customers. If you add a new number/service to your existing account on behalf of a family member, you can enjoy the benefits of a $10 discount for the second service."

I would very much liked to have taken this offer.  But was told I would not be able to use the above offer and port my wife's phone in from another provider as it is in her name.  It feels wrong, the offer for a family member does not allow me to port my wife's number.  Is this advice correct?

Re: second service discount

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

I am not sure of the porting process however it makes sense that you won’t get the discount if the phone is not ported into your account. Can you not change ownership into your name with your wife’s current carrier and then port into your account?

It looks like a poorly worded offer if it says "on behalf of a family member" as it looks like Optus is assuming the family members are using services already in your name.

SamSam

Yeah the issue isn't with Optus' promotion as such, it's the porting process itself. the ACMA (government body) sets the rules for what telco can and can't do when it comes to transfering services from one to the other and it's very clear that a service can only be transferred from say Telstra to Optus in the same name. So if you transferred it over, it would be in her name and therefor not on your account so wouldn't be a "second service".

They should have offered a solution though. It's a bit annoying but you could call the other provider and arrange to transfer it to your name and then port it across to Optus. Alternatively, depending on the details of the promotion you could port it over in your wifes name to a pre-paid Optus service, transfer it into your name and then "upgrade" to a postpaid plan as a second service. If you go for option 2, check with Optus that the discount applies to pre to post transfers as well. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted

petergdownload

@SamSam

The problem though is if you port in the wife's name and then try transfer into the husbands account its not a new service any more but an existing Optus service.

This isn't an uncommon scenario, so Optus should definitely have (develop) some internal process that transfers the number accross to them but is then attached to another persons account. 

Out of interest though, doesn't the $10 discount automatically apply once you have the two accounts? Happens for old and new accounts?

Peter Gillespie

SamSam

I'm fairly sure they count converting a prepaid service to a postpaid service as a new service though because it's not a recontract. I could definitely be wrong though!

Not so sure about the $10 discount these days

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

From memory the $10 discount was started when a new mobile service was added to an existing fixed home broadband account. At the time I do recall the offer was available only if you combined your services into one bill. Someone asked about the discount a couple of weeks ago and after a comprehensive search of the Optus website I found no mention of it.  I must say I find it some what concerning that they would mention this offer in a live chat session and it not be written anywhere on the Optus website. Maybe it is written somewhere and I just haven't found it.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
74 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
50 Kudos