Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

scam on facebook

Hi, back in may i was scammed into buying a plan for two phones. When i received them i was to send them to a foreign address to the owner of facebook and told not to return the phones back to optus or the FBI will come to visit me and arrest me. I was terrified to say the least. After some time my friend informed me that it was a scam. I them contacted Optus and talked to the financial department and they informed me that if i return the phones that they would clear my debt. I used optus prepaid envelopes and took them to the PO. Some weeks pass and i get an SMS informing me to pay $6,400 or my service will be disconnected. I contacted optus informing them of the situation and they said they will contact the warehouse to see if the phones have been returned. Some time later i was contacted by optus asking for payment of $3,240 for overdue. My friend contacted optus on 26 Oct 19 and they said the warehouse will be contacted to hasten to resolve. So far i still have this overdue payment for 3 months now, what to do?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: scam on facebook

Hi rocky64,

Sounds like quite a dilemma. 

Are/were you a new Optus customer or an existing customer? It was a scam but you had an Optus account created?

Those figures are pretty high for two handsets, were you using them and receiving bills? Did you at any point pay bills to Optus?

Without being able to see the account, knowing exactly what the charges are for, etc. this situation it's tricky to work out.

Ultimately it's best to continue to discuss with Optus and ask these questions. You mentioned if the phones were returned you were advised the debt would be cleared so assuming that takes place it should be okay.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: scam on facebook

Your friend shouldn't have been able to contact Optus on your behalf due to privacy reasons and not being an authorised account holder. I don't know how much personal information the scammer got from you, but just  make sure you are actually dealing with Optus. 

0 Kudos