cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Rockmoss
New Contributor

"Top pick for our regional coverage" badge

Hi everyone. Could someone tell me if it's possible to get a complete list of mobile phones that have been given the "Top pick for our regional coverage" badge, both now and in the past. I'm wanting to buy a used phone, probably iPhone but not absolutely sure yet. My wife and I often travel in regional areas. While we do have both Optus and Telstra mobiles, our preference is to use our Optus account where possible as it is more economical for our needs.

Cheers, Rockmoss 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: "Top pick for our regional coverage" badge

In 2016 when that testing and tagging started the list was:

iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6s Plus
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG Stylus DAB+
LG G5
Samsung Galaxy S7
Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
Microsoft Lumia 650
Microsoft Lumia 640
Oppo F1
Samsung J1 mini
Huawei Y3 11

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor Rockmoss
New Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply. I'd already seen the info from back then, but wondered if there was any new info since. Also, is there a way to do a search for current handsets with the badge, instead of going through all the different handsets on offer?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I have not been able to find any recent devices - I think it was repalced by the "Optus Coverage Commitment" https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/network

Going back a few years - not every phone bad support for Band 28 aka 700Mhz, all the ones Optus sells now have it.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi rockmoss,

You can find this on our website and blog.

Cheers

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Rockmoss
New Contributor

Thanks for the links to information. I would just like to check if I am understanding the info correctly.

I've noticed that the last iPhone to receive the Optus "Top Pick for our Regional Coverage" badge is the 6s Plus. So am I to assume that all the iPhone models since then have been tested and haven't measured up to the standard? I would prefer to stick with what I know, (iPhone) and as regional coverage is important to me, it doesn't leave me with a lot of choice.

I've also noticed that apart from the iPhone 6s Plus, all the remaining badges are assigned to Samsung phones, and not one is assigned to any other brand or model on offer. So am I to assume that they have all been tested and measured to a certain standard, and that only the models with the badge have met that standard?

I would very much appreciate any information regarding how the testing is conducted, who does the testing, and if all the phones on offer have been tested.

Thanks for all the helful advice so far. Looking forward to upgrading my phone, as my old 4s is slow as a wet week now. Just want to make an informed decision. May need to switch to a Top Pick Android?

Cheers, Rockmoss

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Rockmoss,

Great questions! That does seem odd that they are just all Androids post the iPhone 6S Plus.

I have asked our Networks guys and when I receive their response I'll get back to you 🙂 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Rockmoss
New Contributor

Hi Ray

Any news back from the Network Guys yet. My old phone is not coping very well these days and I need to replace it. I would prefer to do that post enlightenment on those matters. A short time ago I sent a more lengthy reply, but I think there was a glitch that sent it into another technical abyss. So perhaps short and sweet is better.

Cheers, Ross

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi there Ross,

Surprisingly, no news. Let me chase them up again. Apologies for the delay.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Ross,

Turns out the person who was getting back to me with the answer no longer works here.

I asked somebody else and they advised they'll be getting back to me with a detailed response however in the meantime the iPhone XS is the Top Pick for Regional out of the current crop of iPhones available.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors