Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Ascidian99
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

"The mailbox of the user you are calling is currently full, please try later"

This problem affects both my Optus mobile and our home phone over NBN when attempting to ring one number in Northern NSW from Syd.  I don't think it's an Optus problem but related to the home phone service at the far end whose ISP isn't getting anywhere.  Has anyone experienced a similar problem and can offer any suggestions please?

When ringing the number I receive the error message "The mailbox of the user you are calling is currently full, please try later" when the number is known not to be busy.  Happens consistently from mobile or home phone.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Steven_YC

Re: "The mailbox of the user you are calling is currently full, please try later"

Hey @Ascidian99 - Thanks for sharing this.

This is quite an unusual issue to hear about - Does it happen when they aren't busy on the phone or only when the phone is engaged?

Is it possible that the present person has not set-up a Voicemail box or that particular Voicemail box is full?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Ascidian99
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: "The mailbox of the user you are calling is currently full, please try later"

It happens when the phone is not in use and the person being called is expecting our call as it's a scheduled appointment.

As they know we're calling them they have call us  which is the only way to establish a connection.

0 Kudos
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Get the other person to call their RSP and get them to clear the mailbox and get them to ask the RSP about how to use the mailbox.

There is nothing you can do as it's the other end that needs to chase it up.

0 Kudos
Steven_YC

Strange to hear about this. You mentioned above the calls were made over NBN which then encounter this issue, have you tried calling through your Mobile service straight to the number and do you receive the same issue? 

If it's happening to just this one number in the area on different services, it's likely to be an issue on the other end. We're unable to say exactly what it is but perhaps they made need to speak to their provider or try their own troubleshooting for Mailbox related issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Steven_YC  FYI, the original post said "This problem affects both my Optus mobile and our home phone over NBN when attempting to ring one number in Northern NSW from Syd. " As such the end user had tried his mobile.

0 Kudos
Ascidian99
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the thought but they've cleared and reset their mailbox and seem to have exhausted their SP's knowledge.

The problem is that the message seems to be generated spuriously, as in why should the call switch to the mailbox when the phone is not in use, consistently and repeatedly and from two different origins, but not apparently from other users? (remote diagnosis is always fun, particularly when the end party is even less technically savvy than me).

One thought is whether an intermediate path is congested or has a routing issue and triggering a false symptom and who will check that on the NBN?

0 Kudos
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Ascidian99The RSP who the other end is connected to.

0 Kudos
Ascidian99
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Resolved - for today at least, hopefully will stick.

Problem 1 - possibly the mailbox was full - the receivers SP cleared it and "reset the account", what ever that entails, at the same time so what actually fixed the problem wasn't isolated.

Anyway that allowed our mobile to connect and two way conversation to happen, but the home phone over the landline/nbn still gave the same error.

Problem 2 - reset our router/modem which allowed us to ring the number and open connection but the receiver couldn't hear us, though we could hear them. 

Replacing our handset then fixed that and allowed two-way communication.  (there have been no other issues relating to the handset so why it should affect just that one connection would make for interesting reading)

so for now - all good (until the next time).

thanks to all who contributed.

Tina_YC

Thanks for getting back to us with an update, @Ascidian99. I'm glad that's all sorted now. If you run into any other issues, please let us know. Tina.

0 Kudos