Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor jack0194
Occasional Contributor

phone/contract upgrade

hey

how long do you have to be in a contact for before you can upgrade to a new phone?

ive had my iphone 7 since feb this year would i only have to wait until feb next year if i wanted to upgrade to the iphone x? or do i have to wait another year? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: phone/contract upgrade

For a very long time Optus sold phones on plans with essentially 2 contracts. One for the plan itself and one for the phone and if you wanted to leave or upgrade early, you'd break both of those contracts and pay them out. 

What they do now is essentially remove the contract for the plan and the phone "contract" is a commitment by you to pay off the cost of the phone divided by 12 or 24 months, depending on your plan. Most of the time they give you a discount towards the phone payment each month on a 24 month contract. 

So to answer your question, you can upgrade today BUT you'll pay off the rest of the phone. You'll then own said phone so can sell it cover the costs if you like. The easiest way to figure out how much you'll pay is to look at your recent bill. You'll see a charge for the phone and in brackets something like (12 remaining) which indicates how many months you have left. If you can see a discount as well, forget about that. Simply times the monthly fee by the number in the brackets and you'll get a rough idea of what you're up for.

If you'd like to take up the $99 early upgrade offer wherein you return the phone in good working order, then you need to wait until at least the 12 month mark. 

If all of that is to confusing, ask a rep via live chat for the $ figures so it's easier - http://yesopt.us/chat2us

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Occasional Contributor

so if i wait until the 12 mounth mark it sholdnt be any more then $99 extra? i would wait unil the 12 mounths any way.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

As long as your plan includes the $99 upgrade offer (most if not all have this year) then yes, it'll cost you $99 to upgrade PLUS handing back your phone to then sign a new 24 month contract. This is also only available from the 12 month mark onwards

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

yer i do get that i just checked the contract and it was included

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Good! Now your mission is to ensure you don't break, dent, scratch or otherwise damage your phone until the 12 month mark otherwise you won't be handing it back in good working order and will need to pay more than $99 to upgrade! Best of luck

0 Kudos
Top Contributors