Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

payment in error to previous account

Hello, I recently had my phones stolen and as a consequence bought another phone with a different number.  This apparently required a change of account.  Payments to Optus had been set up on BillPay and when I was billed on the new account, I paid by BillPay, but it seems the payment may have gone to the old account. So 2 questions:

1.  How do I change the BillPay to my new account?

2: How do I retrieve the money paid to the previous account and have it paid to the new account.

BTW, I am currently in Thailand and will return to Australia on 18th February.  I will need a grace period till then while this payment situation is sorted.

Respectfully,

Rod

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: payment in error to previous account

Sounds strange. Optus has one account for a person. You can add / remove phones and plans to that account but there is still just the one bill to pay.

At this stage I would just pay a month or two worth of your current bill to the "new" account ($200?). You can then leave it until you get back to sort but Optus will just deduct future bills from any credit you have in the account.

Note you can arrange a delay in payment but you will still be charged $15 a month in late fees.

As for where the other money has gone, it should just sit as a credit under the old account name. You can just request it be sent out to you as a cheque (or sent to your bank account) after you get back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you Peter.  I just got an invoice from the old account showing a credit balance that is almost as much as I am owing on the new account.  Surely there is a way they can transfer it from one account to the other.

Any idea how I go about changing the BPay account number?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

This is big business. They have a process that you need to follow. So no, no simple transfer. Just request a refund the normal way.

How you pay is up to you. If the account has a new number then just punch that in your bank website when you make a payment.
0 Kudos