Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor Buffalo
Occasional Contributor

opt out of data sharing

Optus is making me mad. 
First, my wife's phone gets those b-s texts telling her she's paying for some gaming crap (from a company that Optus is in cahoots with). This is some company that purports to be a 'game' site or something. Problem is, you're paying for nothing. Whatever their 'product' is, you have no way of accessing it. 
Now I get an email from Optus telling me of changes to their privacy policy, which seems like they're trying to get legal authority to on-forward our details to these third-party scam artists. The email gives a link which then says you can opt-out by going to it. It just takes you to a page that says you can update your preferences by going to 'my account'. It's a flipping rabbit-hole. I've gone into 'my account', I've gone into 'profile' and under the tab 'general marketing', I can't change a damned thing. It's all greyed out and 'on'. 

Damn you Optus. I can't even see the breakdown of my latest bill that appears to have over $25 charges from this b-s company. 
Another email to the TIO I guess. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: opt out of data sharing

Pretty weird all your options are greyed out. Have you tried a different browser? I just tested it on my own account and it's fine for me. Anyway, first thing TIO will ask is have you tried to contact Optus and posting on here doesn't really count. I'd jump onto Live Chat and request to be opted out - http://yesopt.us/chat2us

As for the charges, yes these sites are really hammering people at the moment. Same deal, on live chat you can request that these charges are disputed. They'll lodge the request and you should be contacted within 2 business days to resolve. Whilst on Live Chat, you should also request your premium SMS spend limit is reduced to $0 (default is $200) so this can't happen again. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: opt out of data sharing

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2418905

It's already legal for Telstra and Optus to forward your phone number to scam artists. The default position is that everything is legal, until some politicians make a law against it. Obama passed a law against ISPs selling your browsing history, but Trump killed the law.

0 Kudos