Searching...

Mobile

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

one phone number on 2 sims

Sleeper

Hi there,

I have on Optus phone account but I'm heading into a remote area of Australia that only has Telstra coverage, can I have a pre paid second Telstra sim with my same phone number I can insert when needed?

Thanks 

Re: one phone number on 2 sims

SamSam

No that's not possible. 

You could set up call forwarding from your Optus mobile to the Telstra SIM though so when people are calling the Optus number they're diverted to the Telstra one and just have that SIM in your phone predominently. 

You won't get the SMS sent to the Optus number though so will have to change them over from time to time to check those

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

petergdownload

Nope. You can however use MYACCOUNT or the Optus Mobile App etc. to set up immeadiate call diversion to another number. So when someone rings your Optus number its your Telstra one that rings. Test it out now if you link with someone elses mobile number standing next to you.

Peter Gillespie

Sleeper

Thanks for the reply but why is it not possible?

Is it a legal thing or will the new supplier get the older account's phone number closed down?  

Solution

petergdownload

As I understand it only one telco can 'own' one number at a time. It used to be you lost your number when you switched providers but now you can 'port' your number across to another Telco. Optus still owns the number and will get it back if you ever stop paying the bills for long enough but while you do pay the bills you can transfer the number to Telstra.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
73 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos