Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor inspi
New Contributor

new offer Samsung S8 for $49/month

Hi Everyone,

I am looking out for the new offer of $49/month with S8 over 24 months contract. they are also offering bonus 10gb data per month if ordered online.

Can anyone share their experience or comments on this please to help me decide if I should go with S8 or S9 and is this a great deal in the market? I am preety new here so cant decide on own.

The offer ends on 20/05

Thanks in Advance.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: new offer Samsung S8 for $49/month

Hi @inspi

Nice phones. At $49 with 20Gb the S8 looks like a pretty nice deal. Note that the phone comes with a option to upgrade to a new phone again after 12 months (cost $99 + new 24 month contract). So you could painlessly bump up to a cheaper S9 (or anything) then?

The S9 looks less enticing to me at $69 for pretty much the same deal. So about $500 more to spend over the next 24 months. I don't have experience with the phones personally but I do know new phone models these days offer very little in real performance difference. Buying a model behind is a great way to save 30%+ and get 95%+ of the features IMO.

Whatever deal you decide, definitely just add the numbers up to see the total cost over the time you are contracting. you get a much better appreciation of that slight difference in monthly cost doing so. Also make sure you read the CIS link at the base of each plan.

Personally a 24 month contract for me is a long time, as another option you might like this great Optus SIM only deal (also ending soon). Then you just buy whatever phone you want outright.

As a last note, avoid a lease deal at any cost. It might save another $10 off your monthly deal but you have to hand the phone back at the end of the contract. If you lose or break the phone you also have to buy a new one (which you also have to give back to Optus in the end)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor inspi
New Contributor

@ Peter Thanks for a detailed reply. I agree with your comments. But I think accoridng to optus I can keep the phone after 24 months contract ends. I know 24 months looks to be big time but I have no choice of buying a phone upright hence going for contract option.

Appreciate your response.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@inspi,

Sounds good. Optus has two plan types, one where you keep the phone and one where you don't (lease). Just wanting to make sure you understood which one you are signing up to. 

Agree that buying outright is a luxury. In the past plans were heavily subsidised so a contract was actually a better deal. Now days outright versus plans is roughly the same cost at the end of the period.

Enjoy the phone you choose.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors