Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor Scotttt
Occasional Contributor

myOptus app Data Usage incorrect

Hello, I have an Optus mobile plan with 3GB per month data allowance.

When I use the myOptus app to check my usage, the first summary screen always shows a much higher figure than the Data Breakdown - Daily Use screen.

There is a pattern every month where half way through the month it shows that I am about 50% through my usage whereas by the end of the month I still have about 20% left, even though my usage patterns are consistent across the month. I.e. it always seems to show over-usage early in the month.

See attached screen shots for an example:

- "Usage" shows I have used 32% of 3GB, 2.05GB left, i.e. I have used 0.95GB

- "Daily use" breakdown clearly only adds up to about 350-400MB of usage, that is a huge difference from 0.95GB and this is always the case. 

Which of these is correct? Is this a known issue? Do other customers have the same problem?

Thanks, Scott

IMG_4792.PNG

IMG_4793.PNG

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: myOptus app Data Usage incorrect

The confusion comes about because of 'free data'. The main usage (circle graph) only shows data that has come off your allowance (and this is the one to use). The daily usage menu shows all the data you use (free or not).

Ok, so quick re-read and your issue is the reverse of this. The two graphs use different databases which can be out of sync and updated at different times. I can only suggest they should get closer if you wait a few more hours. 

You should also get an SMS when you hit 50% of your allowance so check the graphs then and see if either says 1.5Gb

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. I don't think it is because the two graphs use different databases, the difference is huge and it doesn't sync a few hours later. I see this same problem every month where the Daily graph shows far less data used than the summary graph, and my early month usage seems to be higher than actual. I guess I will just keep an eye on the summary graph.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Overall usage is the one to note.
Do your have an Android phone? Always set local limits and cutouts on it.
Check the data amounts when you get your 50% usage SMS. It should be around 1.5gb
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

MyOptus App Data Breakdown

Why does MyOptus data breakdown show i have used Dropbox & Archive.org

This adds upto 17.8% of total usage

I Think NOT.!!!

Seriously i haven't used, visitied or viewed Dropbox since like 2012. As for Archive.org well i never heard of it let alone visited or used it.

Maybe the Optus Data Count is flawed and ripping off our entiled data allowance?

I have a screenshot but for some reason Optus have stopped allowing us to add them here.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Mine is the other way around, according to my mobile data settings i have used 1.69GB for my cycle, MyOptus shows 1.59GB.

However i created a post earlier MyOptus app breakdown suggest i have used 11.1% this cycle on Dropbox, but seeing that the last time i ever went to Dropbox was maybe 2012 or earlier, i call bulls#it on this. It also shows 6.7% on Archive.org which i have never visited nor have a clue what the hell it is.

So i would suggest that Optus Data Monitoring is a little incorrect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Here are the screenshots from this month, same problem. I don't expect any reply from this, just posting in case anybody wants more examples. 

Summary screen shows that I have used 0.46GB (approx 460MB). Daily Use screen clearly only adds up to less than 100MB. That is a huge discrepancy. And no this is not a timing issue, several days later the Daily Use screen is still not even near 200MB.

This happens every month.

IMG_4925.PNG

IMG_4926.PNG

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

According to the data breakdown i allegedly used my mobile data this Wednesday just gone, however its totally impossible. Because i was in hospital and in no condition to be using my phone.

So its pretty obvious that Optus Data Monitoring is pretty much flawed.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus data usage can sometimes be sent out 24-48 hours later. Its flawed even when working as intended.
If you have an Android monitor your own data usage on the phone. But otherwise I would recommend Optus prepaid or another Telco that doesn't charge $10 a Gb when they don't send you timely data updates in the first place.
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

The incorrect amount doesn't really matter because my plan has 200 GB, and i barely use 20 GB a month. Ive been donating most of it to the current optus program for kids in need.

Im just pointing out that their system is not reliable. And also in legal circumstances would be inadmissible as their system is stating something i didnt access.
Top Contributors