cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

myGov tax rebate scam sms

I got an sms from 'ATO' and the text message is "In partnership with myGov, every OPTUS customer is eligible for a tax rebate. Visit bit.ly/myGovOptus and verify your details to process your claim." I've search the ATO and Optus website and didn't find any offer like this.

This is not the first time that I got a phishing sms. Last week I got an sms from "OPTUS" said my bill couldn't process but I've check online and my balance is all processed.

Getting annoy by these phishing sms ... How to remove my number from being targed 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: myGov tax rebate scam sms

Cant remove your number from someone who operates outside the law.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Wow, this is the most full-service phishing attempt I have ever seen. That link takes you to my-gov-help.com and tries to get all this info:

1) Your mygov login details:

Scam1.png

2) All this personal info, including if your mobile number is prepaid or postpaid:

scam2.png

3) Your drivers licence and passport details:

scam3.png

4) Your credit/debit card details:scam4.png

5) What type of online bank you have:

scam6.png

6) And finally your bank account login:scam7.png

Once it has milked you for all it can, it takes you to the real mygov login page.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

F.Y.I I reported the site to both bitly and NameSilo (the domain registrar) last night and the site is now unreachable (DNS will no longer resolver).

Highlighted

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @Niclook. Yes it is a scam sms. I have already forwarded this to our scam team for review. In the mean time don`t click on any link and just delete the sms. Would also recommend to report the details → here. Kartik

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @YetAnotherAcc, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can you please forward all the details and screenshot to abuse@optus.com.au so that we can investigate further. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Kartika wrote:

Hi @YetAnotherAcc, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can you please forward all the details and screenshot to hidden so that we can investigate further. 

All the screenshots are in my previous post. Although I have full screen version of all those screenshots above, they provide no additional useful information so there is no point in sending them specifically.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No worries, @YetAnotherAcc all good.

0 Kudos