Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor megilly1885
New Contributor

multiple order confirmation emails

This week I have recieved three emails with the following:

"Just confirming we've received your order update for (my phone number)"

I haven't ordered anything and just wanted to make sure nothing strange was going on. I have since cancelled my sim card as I am travelling in South America and misplaced my sim which I realised this morning when I tried to sort this email situation out. I've tried to contact a team member on live chat but as I'm in South America my internet service keeps dropping out and the chat won't load. 

I just want to make sure the emails were an error and that there isn't a random order on my account and have a team member make sure the emails cease please as there have been more than one now.

Thank you

Meghan

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: multiple order confirmation emails

I've flagged this with Optus here before as its a really bad customer exeperience and completely perplexing.

I got the same message and was convinced someone had used my ID to purchace a phone or something. I was half way through changing passwords and cancelling accounts etc. when I figured it out.

You will have recently use MYACCOUNT (online or on the phone). Simple things like changing a nickname or toggling options are being reported as an "Order" and (useless uninformative) confirmation emails are being sent.

Its another area where Optus is making it easy for scammers to attack their customers by encouraging behavoir that is not safe. In this case its just ignore the messages (of course if one day its a scammer triggering real warnings while they steal your money hopefully you'll spot those.)

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Disasterarea
New Contributor

Far out - I got one this morning and was utterly terrified someone was using my account as I have just sold a car and given a lot of personal details to a car dealership.

I logged into my account earlier and could see no order, don't know what's going on, and the OPTUS live chat doesn't work at all (tried chrome, and Ie, AND firefox) - Tried the mobile app but it just said no-one available.

I'm still crapping myself that somehow someone's ordered a phone or something on my account? - but there's no order number on the emails or anything.  

I got another one just now which again says "Just confirming we've received your order update for nnnn nnn nnn thanks your optus team, but no order numbers.

Truly terrifying email to receive in this day and age, ridiculous.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yep. Given how central our mobiles are these days to our finances, Optus appears to take a pretty limited responsibility for protecting their customers. 

I went through exactly the same panic from this irresponsible email. Apparently Optus have been told numerous times the wording is completely inappropriate but so far no change 

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor maxbucket
New Contributor

Yes

Just received 3 of the same emails

Havent accessed anything to do with the phone settings for months

Ridiculous

I'm continually amazed at how stoneage Optus is for one of the largest Telcos in the world

I just think they don't really care about customer service, but then again who does?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey there MaxBucket,

Certainly sounds odd.

If you'd like to follow up why you received these e-mails, please Chat with us.

If you decide to, please let us know what the outcome was.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor maxbucket
New Contributor

I was told it was because there had been an upgrade of the phone to 5G and other stuff

But who would know?

Possibly a text was sent but we can't determine taht but even if it was why confuse the issue with an email?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

It would be automated but at the same time definitely shouldn't drive customer confusion and contacting Optus as a result.

Thanks again for raising this issue, I will be passing this feedback on.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors