Searching...

Mobile

malicious excessive data usage appeared

Gmonica

I've been using Optus since 24th Sept 2018 only for Youtube, Whatsapp, Line, Instagram, and normal browser (no gaming or downloading or any other massive data consumption activity). I'm shocked once I checked on my usage, normally never exceed 1Gb per day but there are SOME dates stated that I used up to 9 Gb !! What the hell is really happening? Now I exceed the usage about 13Gb and for that I was charged $130 !!! For real???  Just how big social media consume the data?

Re: malicious excessive data usage appeared

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

All those apps can use large amounts of data. Do you have app usage history in the settings under data usage?

Average month for me watching YouTube videos using my mobile tethered.

mobile-data-usage.jpg

petergdownload

If you are using an Android phone have you set local warnings and limits?

Optus is obligated to send an SMS with every top up (although it can be 48 hours after the fact). 

Did you recieve any SMSs?

Peter Gillespie 

GuyCS

Hey @Gmonica - not great to hear you're having trouble with data usage. Your data breakdown in the My Optus App and your My Account should outline where/when the majority of your data has been used, but we can certainly check it out on our end as well.

If you'd like us to take a look at your usage, please send me a private message with the following info:

Are you the primary account holder: Y/N
Full name: 
Date of birth: 
Account/Service number:

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Gmonica

I'm sure those can. But long ago before I use Optus, I've been recording my data usage and I NEVER use mobile data more than 2Gb a day. If by any chance I have to download or do something that consume alot of data, I'll use my other broadband provider. When I logged in into my account and open the daily usage, there are dates which stated my data usage is over 8 Gb! Well that's quite unusual for me (Idk for u). That's why I called it "malicious". And as I type, Optus has already charge me for  $140 (14Gb exceed)

Gmonica

I don't receive any warning yet.  And what's the point of setting the data usage limit? Feels like I'm unable to enjoy my freedom of using the internet connection. And, if, let's say I set the limit, then the daily limit alarm triggered when I only use my data for chatting, how would that help? My point is, I want to know where my data gone and how will Optus prevent this?

Yeldarb

We can only work with the information you provide us and given there was no mention of setting a data limit in your first post we can only tell you that those apps / websites use a lot of data.  has offered to have a look at it for you and given he works for Optus he would be in the best position to tell you what is going on.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

@Gmonica

The point of setting setting a data usage limit is to avoid going over your data limit. For example if you are on a 5Gb a month plan then you might set your data warning limit at 3Gb and your data usage cutoff limit at 4Gb. Its not a day to day limit just a local alert that can save you $$$ because todays mobile phones and services can easily use dozens of Gb before you even know it. 

Optus provide no way to limit your usage up front. The contract you signed means that for whatever reason if your phone downloads more data than your plan allows they will keep giving you more data at exorbitant prices. So Optus answer to your question is 'Please pay the $140 you owe'. 

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

Yeldarb

That's the setup I have been using for years and it has never failed me.

set-data-limit2.jpg

set-data-limit1.jpg

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
75 Kudos
63 Kudos
54 Kudos
49 Kudos